The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: car wont idle when cold !!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Showing results 41 to 60 of 61
    Quote Originally Posted by spdracr View Post
    Please tell me u r joking.

Our cars have 2, a temperature sender which sends the signal to the gauge and so u can see your temp and that one is located on top of the thermostat housing and has one wire

The temp sensor is located under the thermostat housing and screws into the head and has two wires and that has nothing to do with the gauge.

If u believe I'm wrong please prove it but from what u said I bet u didn't know that we had two on our cars.

Sent from my HTC HD2
    The one you changed was the brass one that sends the signal to the gauge or the other one?

When the car is starting cold, does it sputter, or just rev and die? Since you say that it gets back to normal when the engine warms up, it sounds like has to do something with the oil/coolant reaching the optimum temperature right? Did you try giving it some gas when you start it and see if it triggers the CEL? I know this might sound obvious, but did you read the codes with the scanner even without the CEL coming on, there might be some stored?

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    i read the whole thread and see nothing about the FIAV being touched. find another throttle body and swap the FIAV over or just put in the whole throttle body as from what i see in the diagrams the FIAV is built into the throttle body and isnt a seperate part like on the dsm throttle bodies.

my car did this to me 2 years ago and it was the FIAV
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

If I remember from some of the Realfixes Real Fast videos on youtube, there was one about an intermittent issue that only happened when the engine was cold, it was a loose wire. When the engine got warm, the heat expansion caused the wire to hold contact.

I'd also be interested in a compression check when the car is cold. Again heat expands things so gaps can close up (also related to gaskets, and such)

I've also had cars before that had weak batteries that were fairly new that required some revving to store enough current to keep the system going.

Get the engine cold again and jump it from another car and leave it connected and see if it stalls.

Quote Originally Posted by Galanttuner10 View Post
    i read the whole thread and see nothing about the FIAV being touched. find another throttle body and swap the FIAV over or just put in the whole throttle body as from what i see in the diagrams the FIAV is built into the throttle body and isnt a seperate part like on the dsm throttle bodies.

my car did this to me 2 years ago and it was the FIAV

what does the FIAV do ??

u and mko said the same thing and since both of you suggested the same thing and i have 2 G's running 100% i am gonna take the TB along with the IAC and TPS and install it on his car and see if that fixes the problem
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

THe FIAV has wax inside...when its cold the wax is hard and lets more air through hence higher idle ( to warm up quicker ) on cold starts. Then when the coolant running through the TB and the engine temps get higher, the wax melts and stops air from going through, thus allowing the car to idle lower at normal operating temp ( 700-900 ).

it could have went bad or something. i would try another throttle body and see what happens
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Where is that located ?? I'm curious cuz I would like to see what it looks like.

Sent from my HTC HD2
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

its on the bottom of the throttle body. it is why the coolant lines are going to the throttle body. i believe it is all one piece and you cant take it off as from the diagrams i have looked at only the IAC is a seperate unit
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

Quote Originally Posted by Galanttuner10 View Post
    its on the bottom of the throttle body. it is why the coolant lines are going to the throttle body. i believe it is all one piece and you cant take it off as from the diagrams i have looked at only the IAC is a seperate unit
    i know it cant be taken off since i had an extra TB and as to chris's first suggestion i was gonna clean it but couldnt find it, i just wanted to know where it was located and ur answer is the same thing chris's told me over the phone
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

its the bottom of the throttle body. i dont know how to clean it on yours as it cant come off like on our throttle boddies. if switching the TBs over works and you are using the same TPS then i think its safe to say the FIAV is bad.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

we shall find out soon
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

swapped my TB from my car and it worked, tomorrow we r heading to the junk yard and gonna try to find another TB for him
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

good to hear. good luck finding another one
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

A local u pull it had two it three when I was there two months ago.

Sent from my HTC HD2
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

got a TB from the junk yard, started the car and ran great, hit the gas pedal and then shit went back to where it was before

i dont get it
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

got a TB from the junk yard, started the car and ran great, hit the gas pedal and then shit went back to where it was before

i dont get it
    did you try putting another iac in it the one thats in it could be bad from sitting at the junk yard

Quote Originally Posted by galantlvr34 View Post
    did you try putting another iac in it the one thats in it could be bad from sitting at the junk yard
    Of course common sense that I tested before I even installed the TB

Sent from my HTC HD2
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Of course common sense that I tested before I even installed the TB

Sent from my HTC HD2
    what about the fuel filter did you try changing that?you can also try putting some fuel system cleaner in it see if that helps maybe something is clogged.

Quote Originally Posted by galantlvr34 View Post
    what about the fuel filter did you try changing that?you can also try putting some fuel system cleaner in it see if that helps maybe something is clogged.
    i hate to see fix your your car, cuz u sure will waste way more money than necessary

fuel filter wont cause those symptoms, do u even relate the symptoms to your suggestions ??
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

So what you are saying is you put your throttle body on his car and it worked but once you put in the jy throttle body it's back to where it was?
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

Have you checked the PCV valve? I've had these symptoms when the PCV valve was bad, because after the car warmed up, the inner valve did move easier than when it was cold.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast