The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Belt tensioner

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Belt tensioner

Hey guys,

Does anyone else with the 7G galant find themselves in need of tightening the alternator belt tensioner on a bi-weekly basis?

Since owning the car and putting 20,000 miles on it, I've probably adjusted that belt tensioner 150 times. No matter what brand of belt I put on it or how tightly I adjust it, within about 2-3 weeks, the belt will start squealing in the rain. If I ignore it, it will start squealing every day, rain or shine.

I recently replaced the alternator, because the old alternator failed, and it was cracked where it mounts up to the engine block. I thought this was why my belt was always squealing, but the new alternator has made no difference at all.

There are two bolts on the tensioner: Bolt A actually takes the slack out of the belt when turned. Bolt B keeps Bolt A from turning loose as you drive. I have tightened Bolt B as tightly as I can. If I try to tighten it anymore, I'm probably going to strip the bolt out.

Any suggestions?
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

1997 Galant ES with '94-95 style front end and '97 style rear

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    ok so here is what you do, you loosen bolt b slightly then tighten bolt a until you can get about a quarter turn or less on the belt itself. once you fond that point tighten bolt b back down. its just too much slack in the belt.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Quote Originally Posted by Galanttuner10 View Post
    ok so here is what you do, you loosen bolt b slightly then tighten bolt a until you can get about a quarter turn or less on the belt itself. once you fond that point tighten bolt b back down. its just too much slack in the belt.
    Thanks for your response. I know how to tighten / loosen the belt tensioner. The problem is that I find myself constantly having to tighten the belt. I'll get it to where it's nice and tight, and 2 weeks later, the tensioner has somehow managed to let all the slack back out. This happens no matter how much I tighten Bolt B.

I took the tensioner off and examined it, but it appeared to be in perfect working order. All the bolt threads are there and nothing is stripped, so I'm just stumped as to how the belt tension can continue to slip like it does. If the tensioner appears to be in good working order, what else could possibly cause the belt to slacken?
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

It might have the wrong bolt cinching the tensioner. Does that one have a shoulder or unthreaded portion? If so get one with full threads or space it with a lock washer, then tighten the nut at pivot bolt on the bottom side.

i have the same problem, but i dont adjust it anymore, :B

-Mitsubishi Galant LS 1994 a/t [ SOLD ]

Quote Originally Posted by w/oarctic7g View Post
    It might have the wrong bolt cinching the tensioner. Does that one have a shoulder or unthreaded portion? If so get one with full threads or space it with a lock washer, then tighten the nut at pivot bolt on the bottom side.
    It's got full threads, but I'll try the lock washer. Thanks!