The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Hid flicker

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Hid flicker

My hid bulb on the passenger side (farthest from battery) flickers when the car is on..... does not when car is shut off. does anybody know what i can do for this..

What I have done so far

1. Installed relay harness
    2. Tried different ballast
    3. Tried different bulb
    4. Found better ground location for relay ground (sanded down to bare metal)

but i still get flutter / flicker on passenger side

h1 35w 8000k kit

any help would be appreciated

I had the same problem after the proper burn in procedure, but after about 2 weeks mine when away, I wanna say its common with the h1, since thats what was giving me problems also, How long have these been installed now?

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

Is it a slim/digital ballast?

Quote Originally Posted by Galantman03 View Post
    I had the same problem after the proper burn in procedure, but after about 2 weeks mine when away, I wanna say its common with the h1, since thats what was giving me problems also, How long have these been installed now?
    They have been installed for about 2 months now, I noticed the flicker on the both the driver and passenger side after install, but the driver side stopped flicker after almost 2 weeks, but passenger side is still doing it.

They are the slim ballast ...... got the kit from Ultra HID http://www.ultrahid.com/h1hidkit.html

Take this into consideration, when I got my first and only slim/digital kit from DDM, a reputable warehouse/seller for HID all across forums.
    I made a fog and low beam purchase for my 04 Tahoe, I had just got it last year and figured I would buy DDM's best, Their 55w slim kits for lows and fogs. when I got them it was like a 10 year old boy's x-mas, opened them with a huge smile on my face and installed them. I went to try them on hit my lights (truck off) and they all came on beautifully, after about 20 seconds the sun was rising from my grill, just insanely bright. Loved them!! Then I went for a drive and now with the truck running 2 out of 4 lit successfully and the other 2 come on and quickly shut off. I thought maybe not enough current, so I turned the truck off and tried them again all came on. That was very odd to me because with the truck off my battery was at 12.4V and with all 4 ballasts on it would drop to 11.9 but still all came on. with the truck on 14.6 volts across the charging system, my Tahoe came with the heavy duty 145A stock alt for service trucks. 2 out of 4 always failed. I was puzzled I called DDM and got them to service. they lit over there every single time. The guy said relay harnesses, got them and they sent my stuff back, still same problem. I called again thats when they let me in on something. He said that digital/slim ballasts were picky about which cars the work on, I tried not to believe it but went to try them in my moms 2011 equinox that has more electronics wavelengths on the headlights than my 04 Chev and on hers the lit every single time, car on or off.

So now I have regular analog/full size ballasts and they work perfect every time truck on or off, 4 55w ballasts kick on at the same time no prob.
    The guy mentioned that since they are digital they are just very sensitive to "dirty" current if they don't get what they need they got to "safe" mode and shut off to prevent further damage to the bulbs or cars electrical.

On another note, my 99 galant 4 banger with stock alt and duralast battery that came with the car, has 55w full-size ballasts fogs and heads and they are all wired with relay harnesses to come on when together and they come on every single time no fails you would think one of them should fail with all that current draw at the same time.
    Last edited by oakrdrs187; 05-17-2011 at 01:13 PM

^that actually makes total sense

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

That does make sense....

I have tried an analog ballast that I had from a while back and that flickers as well......
    so im lost as far as what to do now

You need a good solid ground and make sure the wires from the bulb are not arching when you start up. Also make sure your bulb is good.