The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: No Overdrive

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 48
    tmain_2319

No Overdrive

So i bought a 1998 galant from a friend of the family for 400$, i had to replace the alternator and the tires but everything runs fine except the transmission wont go into overdrive. what happens is when overdrive is turned on it will get up to about 30mph and will stop accelerating and act as if it was in neutral. it has about 220,XXX miles on it. and it still runs fine as long as OD is off. i took it to auto zone and they said the solenoids are going bad. but i took it to a shop and they said the belts or something in the over drive went out. any ideas?

sounds like you should change the transmission out for another one. I know nothing about auto's when it sounds like that lol

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

FreshDaily
    My 95 is doing the same thing. After a lil research, i found out it is the End Clutch.

http://www.importperformancetrans.co...ishi-1671.html

It is only $89, and takes you 30-45 min to do it yourself, i plan on doing it here soon when i get the money. Ive read that kit will also prevent it from happening again in the future. Im pretty sure if you take it to a Transmission shop, they will prob tell you that its shot, need to replace/rebuild and charge you $4000. Also, replace your tranny fluid/filter while your at it, thats what i plan to do.
    Last edited by FreshDaily; 05-17-2011 at 03:36 PM

tmain_2319
    is that for an automatic

FreshDaily
    Yes it is automatic. Ive never even heard of an End Clutch till last week myself, but from what ive read it is basically your overdrive gear. I dont know alot about transmissions, so i cant explain exactly how it works ya know, but itll save your some serious cash. That website also has a youtube video on how to do it, also this might help you too:

http://www.plymouthlaser.com/ec.htm
    Last edited by FreshDaily; 05-17-2011 at 03:47 PM

tmain_2319
    thanks man i had a mechanic quote me like 400 bucks to do this

FreshDaily
    No prob, supposedly this is a common problem, but i suspect its one of those things tranny mechanics dont talk about so they can continue to screw people over for money. Good luck!

So this is not to hard of a job from the looks of it. I have volunteered my help to him as for this is a work buddy of mine. And we have been wondering how hard it will be to preform looks easier than a headgasket job: )

Quote Originally Posted by FreshDaily View Post
    My 95 is doing the same thing. After a lil research, i found out it is the End Clutch.

http://www.importperformancetrans.co...ishi-1671.html

It is only $89, and takes you 30-45 min to do it yourself, i plan on doing it here soon when i get the money. Ive read that kit will also prevent it from happening again in the future. Im pretty sure if you take it to a Transmission shop, they will prob tell you that its shot, need to replace/rebuild and charge you $4000. Also, replace your tranny fluid/filter while your at it, thats what i plan to do.
    THIS! And followed by flush and filter change and see where you are when the dust settles.

I'm just going to add to what everyone saying.... Yes could be ur side
    Clutch... This how u find out. Turn overdrive off and shift it to d1 drive it thru d2 then d4 manualing switching if it switchs all 3 it is ur side clutch if not then ur inside clutches are gone..... Also number of things could be wrong your torgue converter could be bad. Clutchs pressure plates and also the gaskets n every clutch cylinder. Or ur cylinoids could be bad...... Pics below show u examples..... I've had my 7g for 6yrs I am able to take my trans out in 25 mins lol cause this things have so many issues.....

This pic where cylinoids are which are access thru the transmission pain.... U gotta be careful with taking this apart and cleaning it has alot of springs and shit that need to go back exactly same way

This what happen inside my transsmission last week... This controls the whole thing. Keeps it moving......

This pic off inside the transmission... From reverse which is on the far right to ur side clutch which is far left.....

I assume your tranny is auto also justin?

Yea........... ?? I'm trying find a 5speed here n ga and have had no luck....

do u think that maybe you could describe the problem, mine is doing something similiar but the car wont move at all, its like i can put it in drive and it just goes to neutral but i havent tried turning the overdrive off
    1994 galnt es SOHC

^ u see second to last photo I posted?. Thats what happen to mines it wouldn't move and was burning things up inside the transmission.... With ur problem is almost same Ur car seems it staying n neutral even when u put it n drive? Does it go in reverse? If no to either... Ur cylinoids inside which is in second pic.... Are bad or not getting any fluids just drop ur trans make sure ur pump works and torque converter ... Check all ur gears and then if nothing seems to be messed up check ur cylinoids and body ....(pic2)

Quote Originally Posted by justin View Post
    Yea........... ?? I'm trying find a 5speed here n ga and have had no luck....
    If you felt like driving a couple hours, nashville has a couple pull yards i know that express pull and save in laverne always has a good inv. Of dsms i went there a couple weeks ago and it was packed.... just so you know.

Getting time is Hard I have no problem with that but just gas and time factor n u know.... I maybe going up there for import alliance July 16... Idk yet tho

its willl go into park every other gear is like its in neutral but i can hear the transmission shifting gears which confuses me alot
    1994 galnt es SOHC

In side ur trans is messed up or ur torque converter easy way check that is take the hose off transmission that feeds into Ur radiator as the car is running and see if fluids come out..... If it's what I think it's same problem I had which is that burned up gear inside ... Or maybe ur pump n ur trans... Either way it has to come out... Sry.

tmain_2319

IM back

finally got my password recovered. wohoo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast