The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: battery drains

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9
    maildennis2day

battery drains

i don't really drive the car but i move it every week for cleaning. but after a while(like a couple weeks)battery dies. my mechanic first said the alternater was dieing.now he said i need a new battery and the alternators fine it charges . the battery i currently have which i replaced 4 months ago has 525 cc he told me i should get 750 cc to 850 cc.what should i do replace it

take the alternator and the battery to get tested at a different location for a second opinion

all i know is that for the I4 its an 86 but they do come in different CCA, i beleive 525 is one of them you you may have the right bettery, but i dont know if they go up to 750

EDIT: i did a search on interstate, looks like the v6 and I4 ise the same battery, they have a 525cca version and a 640cca version, ill see if i can find others...

EDIT2: so an autozone search shows more info, they have a 640cca with 750 cranking amps, a 590 cca with 735 cranking amps, but they also show a 26-vl that has the 525 cca with 650 cranking amps
    Last edited by bdevx; 05-25-2011 at 12:29 PM

davila825
    do you disconnect the battery when the car is sitting and your not "really using it"

davila brings up a good point, you said you move it for cleaning, but how long does it run when you move it? it may just be that its sitting to much and slowly draining the charge, if so you might just wanna disconnect the battery as davila mentioned

Could also be a parasitic drain on the battery, too. Any sound equipment installed?

You may also want to look into a battery tender.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    -Andrew

davila825
    years ago i would store my car for the winter and every spring my battery would be dead!! so i started just taking it out and storing it inside. when spring rolled around it fired up like a champ. also DTP is right....you might have a parasitic drain. there are plenty of ways to find them...research online and you will find your answer...good luck

maildennis2day
    how many miliamps does the gallant drain with key-off position normally

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    yes its most likely your battery. i dont drive my 8g either so i hook up a battery charger once a month.

Quote Originally Posted by maildennis2day View Post
    how many miliamps does the gallant drain with key-off position normally
    That really depends on the amount of aftermarket equipment installed. Alarms amps lighting. A bone stock 8g will normally sit between 7 and 22 milliamps at rest. Make sure that when your doing a draw test that all the doors and trunk are closed. If you have one of the rare 8gs with a factory alarm then either disconnect the factory hoodpin switch or close the hood. Takes 10 to 15 mins for the cars computers to settle down to their idle draw as well.
    MECP First Class Certi-fried installer.

For the right price, nothing is impossible.