The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Super VR4 Rebuild

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

Super VR4 Rebuild

I suppose I better start at the beginning ;)

Having previously owned a Legnum VR4 but having to get rid :( A couple of years ago I was once again in the market to buy one.

I couldn't find anything that I liked in the UK so decided to import one from Japan myself.

After a few weeks of checking the auctions I saw this.

The auction sheet didn't look too good.

But the most important thing was the chassis code, this denotes it was a genuine Legnum SuperVR4 one of only 284 made. Originally Silver the Japanese owner had obviously had it resprayed in Black.

I won the auction and anxiously awaited the post auction photos.

Not good :(.

The screen had been smashed post auction, the bonnet was bent post auction and it was in a lot worse condition than I realised. They fixed the damage in Japan and eventually the car arrived :D

Ill skip forward a bit now, needless to say I bought various parts for it and fixed it up over an extended period of time.

So this is how she stands today.

Shortly after I got her on the road a Peugeot 206 hit the nearside rear door taking out the skirt, door, and damaging the wheel and rear lip. The insurance company decided to write the vehicle off and make it a Cat D.

I would dearly love to have a Guaranteed Valuation Insurance on her but this is impossible due to the fact she is now a Cat D. So a plan started to slowly form.

In exchange for some space while it was being stripped I was able to pick up a new shell for free :).

Ill let the pictures do the talking now until we get to tonight :)

So basically now the shell is 99% stripped.

The grand plan is to strip the Super down and refurb/replace all parts and then rebuild it back onto the new shell.

As I dint have a lot of coin to throw at the project at the moment and the Super is still my daily until the end of the month I thought I would spend some time doing what I can do.

Stripping the woefully inadequate Sound proofing :(. What a pain of a job after a couple of hours spent tonight I got to this stage :(

oh and the inside now looks like this

I want to Dyna mat the whole inside when I build it up and also I am doing a complete colour change so the crappy sound stuff has to go.

Cheers

Don

Got to spend another couple of hours on the shell this evening. Made a start removing the seam sealer as well as the sound deadening.

Its slow work but at the moment I cant afford to donate any money to the project really so my time is the only thing I can do :).

It is pretty therapeutic though :D

Cheers

Don

You did a great job on that Legnum!!Hope everything goes well putting it back together

keep us posted

Quote Originally Posted by Gtorque View Post
    You did a great job on that Legnum!!Hope everything goes well putting it back together
    I havn't started stripping the Super yet. I want to get the Donor shell ready first so thats why im working on it.

I also need the Super at the moment to get to work and back ;)

Cheers

Don

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Nice. Nothing like starting from scratch
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

nice project. you can soon say you built your car by hand. good luck

Wow, looking forward to watching this one progress. subscribed!

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    Nice. Nothing like starting from scratch
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz View Post
    nice project. you can soon say you built your car by hand. good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by keith6110 View Post
    Wow, looking forward to watching this one progress. subscribed!
    Thanks guys :)

It will be nice to be able to do everything I want to it from the ground up and soo much easier starting from a bare shell obviously.

Even simple things like battery relocation to the boot will be easier :).

Can't wait till mid June when i can get the Super off the road and start stripping and refurbing parts alongside prepping the new shell.

Cheers

Don

Experienced TGC Member johnygezony's Avatar
    Holy tits this is awesome

Can u take some proper pictures from underneath? Need to see how big the exaust tunnel is :)

TGC Regular
    I'm gonna love this thread.... subscribed! I always wanted to start from scratch with my G.
    Your living my dreams man :D

2002 ES i4 SOHC Mitsubishi Galant

Quote Originally Posted by ShiZnitH View Post
    Can u take some proper pictures from underneath? Need to see how big the exaust tunnel is :)
    Once I get the rotisserie made up and start stripping the underneath back you'll get lots of photos :D.

Cheers

Don