The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Need help and advice bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 24

Icon9 Need help and advice bad.

Ok heres the deal. My upper control arm is slamming into the strut mount. I finaly got a chance to look at it today and its bad. I dont know what to do. My car does have a rebielt title so that could be the problem. idk what to do. here are some pics of whats happening.

Are there any differences in the 2g eclipse suspention? maybe they relpaced some of the parts with eclipse parts?

Would it be safe to cut a little piece out so that maybe they wont hit?

Has anyone else ever had this problem? I know that there are members on here that sit way lower than I do.

Should I just look for another Galant to transfer parts to?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    Oh, and sometimes the fat guy can lay the pipe. Just saying.....

take off ur wheel and take a pic of the damage under the car for me plz.... is it on one side or is that on both sides? u just may need new arms or bushings man.... no need buy a whole new car lol.... o btw where u get ur strut bar? i cant find any =(

The 8g vr4 strut bar should also fit the 7g, and it looks mean. Som here is a link to one Justin:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mitsu...Q5fAccessories

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk Pro, cause IPhones are for suckers.

8g vr4 strut bars do fit with a little modification to the hood skeleton. But you can get one a lot cheaper on eBay. Get one for a 2g eclipse and you need to turn it around backwards but they work with no modification. Mine is a DNA they look good, aluminum and pretty cheap. Ill try to get that pic.

I have eclipse ctrl arms and they are the same. Thats the first time i see that kind of damage. I know when the ingalls type camber kits are used, the ctrl arm is pushed out and then hits the body, but ive never heard of that thing going thru.

You either go over some deep pot holes, or you're very low.

BUt yeah take a picture from under the fender and lets see whats up
    Last edited by mko; 05-19-2011 at 07:55 PM
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

I tried to take some pics but I had no room and my cammera is kinda big. Tomorrow I will um bolt the coilover and pull everything down some so you can see it better. Im not really that low. But ya the roads around here do suck.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    that seems like normal strut rust to me, maybe if see where it is hitting in the wheel well i can be proven wrong. many cars have worse strut towers than that and are on the road. id take care of it soon or the shock will end up through the hood somewhere down the line.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

No it's not strut rust it's where the ball joints are hitting. If you look closely at the last two pictures they are of the passenger side. It's not as bad yet but you can see where the paint is chipped off it's sticking up some. It has even push that mount up some too.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    well, i have almost the same exact thing on one side and even when i was lower than you i never had that issue and that type of stuff is still there. get some underneath pics so maybe we can see the damage, but i dont remember the balljoint being that far back.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

These are the best pictures from below that I can get.

Do you think that my ball joint could be too big?

Its not hitting in the same spot every time. All of the dents are close and overlaping one an other but not the same every time. Do you guys think that it could be the bushings at the back of the control arm? How the hell do you get the nut off of the part that conects the controll arm to the car?

what was damaged in the wreck for it to have a rebuilt title?

even when i was low as shit. and jacking up the suspension i never came close to contact. i think there is deff something bent to make contact

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

Quote Originally Posted by kolio View Post
    what was damaged in the wreck for it to have a rebuilt title?

even when i was low as shit. and jacking up the suspension i never came close to contact. i think there is deff something bent to make contact
    I honestly have no clue. It was already fixed when I bought it. I gave $963 for it so it didnt matter at that time cause I never intended to get so attached to the car and sink money into it. Now it sux.lol

Does anyone thin replacing the bushings will help?

well its weird ok. Its hittin the same spot - the most damage is from the top of the balljoint and the scratch above it is from the end of the control arm.

No the control arm can not move left to right unless the bushings are completely gone which I doubt.

Q: When you installed the coilovers, did you compress the spring with the nut as much as you can and then adjust the height with the bottom part of the coilover or was the spring loose or not very tight when you installed it?
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

I actualy compressed the spring quite a bit and then adjusted te bottom part. The dents look as though the arm is moving out sometimes. Like towards the fender. How can I get the arms off I know where the nuts are but it's like they are froze up. I am bad about braking bolts, is there any trick to getting them off so that I can look at the bushings better?

If I can't figure this out would it be stucturaly safe to cut that part out and have a slightly raised piece of metal welded back in it's place?

1/4 plate steel shouldn't bent lol... but seriously though, PB blaster is great, and a torch helps loosen the rusty bolts... I dunno if you want to replace the bushings though... cause those will catch on fire with a torch lol

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

Quote Originally Posted by 98mgalant View Post
    I actualy compressed the spring quite a bit and then adjusted te bottom part. The dents look as though the arm is moving out sometimes. Like towards the fender. How can I get the arms off I know where the nuts are but it's like they are froze up. I am bad about braking bolts, is there any trick to getting them off so that I can look at the bushings better?

If I can't figure this out would it be stucturaly safe to cut that part out and have a slightly raised piece of metal welded back in it's place?
    A picture of my ride hight for a reference. ~bump~

your front wheel looks too far back in the well

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

check your lateral and compression arms as well as your subframe
    94 Galant GS: 4G67 head, 1G IM, Evo 8 TB, DeltaCam 272/264 Cams, Test Pipe, OE Avenger V6 60mm catback w/muffler, modified Outlander header, DIY COP setup, B/S delete, 315cc injectors, AEM UEGO WBO2, Black case 3G ECU

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast