The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Need Help - Steering wheel cover

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

Icon4 Need Help - Steering wheel cover

I searched the posts in this forum and found nothing, so here it is...

I just want to replace the combination switch (turn signal/ headlight) on my 97 - Problem is with the steering column cover. The upper cover is completely loose on the left side and the front right side immediately behind the steering wheel, but I cannot get the rear left part of the cover (where it meets the dash...) to come loose.

On my 7G there is only one screw on the underside of the column which I did loosen but it did nothing to help. I also released the column tilt lever to lower it as far as possible and can see where the cover ends, but cannot see how to get the upper cover to release. I've called every part store in town and the Mits dealer to see if they can help. One place said there was a locking ring that had to be pushed back before I could remove the cover but on my 7G there is none. No one had any decent guides and the part store just had a exploded schematic of the column which they couldn't read. Mits refuses to help and tells me to bring it in for repair.

Like that's going to happen!

So, does anyone here have experience with this. I know I need to disable the airbags before replacing the switch but that should have nothing to do with the cover removal. I need some help guys and would appreciate the assist!

Thanks!

Well I think that you should have 4 screws in the bottom of the cover. Two in the front and two in the back. One of them is beside the lever to adjust the wheels. Then you have to pop the two parts apart from each other. Hope this helps. If not let me know and I'll try to help.

Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    Oh, and sometimes the fat guy can lay the pipe. Just saying.....

Icon4 Nope!

There are only two recesses on the bottom of the steering column. One on either side of the release lever, but only one has a screw - there may be four on yours but not mine.

I can actually put my hand on the end of the cover where it meets the dash but there is no visible clip or screw for releasing the cover. This repair should be easy and now it's beginning to annoy me.

I tried calling another Mits dealer and at least he was able to understand how I could not drive the car over (which negates the whole reason behind my repair attempt..). The last thing I need is a repair charge and a fix-it ticket.

Am I the first guy at TGC to have this prob? I'd find that hard to believe...
    Last edited by dasd; 05-20-2011 at 02:08 PM

If you can take a picture of the bottom of the cover so that I can see what you are working with.

Yes, 4 screws need to come out of the bottom side. Then there is a few plastic lock/locating tabs that will release when you pull the two halves apart gently.

He says there are only two spots for screws. I wonder if maybe we are talking about two different things or something cause I wouldn't think that his would be different from ours.

Icon4 Only two holes here!

Arctic,

Where are your holes located? On mine there are only the two I've described and nothing else. Only one is accessible with a tool and the other hole is deeper and too small for me to get a tool in there. Also, the screw holes are located close to the lever and steering wheel - they're too far forward to be keeping the upper cover attached near the dash.

This does not make any sense and I'd sure like a solution to this prob.

Well I have several 7g cars from 94-97 they are all the same if it has tilt. 4 screws hold the upper and lower covers together and 2 screws hold the switch on. 10 minutes with just a phillips screwdriver and its done.

Just use a standard number 2 phillips not one of those changeable bit drivers.

Yep that's what mine looks like too. Did you get down and look at it cause the first time I took mine off I just felt around and didn't find all the screws till I actualy looked at it?

Icon12 Thanks for the input..

You were right! There were four screws but not in the configuration shown in the pic - why did I have to have a whacked cover?? I had to become part pretzel to access the last screw that was holding the cover in place. Your cover would have been a breeze compared to mine...

So now I have the cover off - Great! And get this, the part I got fits okay but one of the wiring harness connectors will not mesh because the slot is too small. Arghhh. Now I have to search for another part.

Fun, fun fun!

But in all honesty, thanks a lot for the assist. Now do you know of a great place for used/ reconditioned parts ;-)

I hate paying retail.
    Last edited by dasd; 05-22-2011 at 06:06 PM