The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: brake fluid low...

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16

brake fluid low...

Hi, first off let me just start off saying im very low on money. My brake fluid is very low and the dealership said that im in need of front brakes very soon and also need the rear by my next oil change. They said it will cost $310.00 for them to install, use there product and turn the rotors. i cant afford that. Is it possible to just add more brake fluid to the system, and put new brake pads? I'm not sure what would happen if I do not turn the rotors. I do not think they are deeply scored. I have never had a car long enough to have the brake pads and rotors changed. This is the only car that actually lasted without faling apart.

you can add more brake fluid if you want but you gotta remove some when you change your pads. try r1concepts they have a pretty good deal going on this site for pads and rotors
    04 GTS 9G

FoR Sale:
    2004-2006 Fog Lights $50
    shoot me a pm

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    change the pad and the fluid will go up again.

please just dont put brake fluid and run the pads all the way to the rotors then you end up replacing the rotors too.

i suggest buying new pads and having it installed asap. go somewhere else besides the dealer as it is very easy to replace the pads on this car.

Thanks for the help im gonna buy the ones from advanced auto parts. They are called Akebono Ultra Premium Ceramic Disc Brake Pad Kit. is it ok if i do not get the rotos resufaced? if I do not, will I end up with a horrible screeching noise every time I brake?

You should be able to get brake pads, brake rotors, and a brake flush done for $300. And yes you should at the least resurface the brake rotors. I would always replace them, the reason being is you get a more comets brake service, and the brake rotors needs more mass (weight/density) to dissipate heat generated under braking.

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh89 View Post
    Thanks for the help im gonna buy the ones from advanced auto parts. They are called Akebono Ultra Premium Ceramic Disc Brake Pad Kit. is it ok if i do not get the rotos resufaced? if I do not, will I end up with a horrible screeching noise every time I brake?
    The Akebono's are ceramic and are expensive. It would be ideal to go for them, if you're going for ventilated rotors (drilled), if you go for ceramics, is what I'm told. I have them, and they are awesome. Go for some reasonably cheap pads for now, until you can save up to change the rotors and pads. If you are going through Advanceautoparts, use the discount code A123 to get $10 off $30 or $20 off $50, if you order online.

The lower your brakes get the quicker you will use up brake fluid. If you get the pads done then it should do as much to the rotors and your fluid won't go down as quick. Also try not riding the brakes or waiting til the last few seconds to slow down.. coast alot and it will make your brakes last longer.

Effort and courage are not enough, without purpose and direction.

u dont have to go to the dealer to change your brakes... a local shop will charge you cheaper. How comfortable are you working on the car? Most of the cost is labor. Basic pads for the front will cost around 40/50 bucks including accesories, plus driving to a shop with another car to have them resurface will cost another 20/30 bucks for the pair usually
    uhhhh...... Whats a 9g???

Quote Originally Posted by krazienluv10 View Post
    u dont have to go to the dealer to change your brakes... a local shop will charge you cheaper. How comfortable are you working on the car? Most of the cost is labor. Basic pads for the front will cost around 40/50 bucks including accesories, plus driving to a shop with another car to have them resurface will cost another 20/30 bucks for the pair usually
    Very true, you don't have to go to a dealer. But some dealers give you a discount if you bought the car from them and it's still under warranty. So call to ask around.

Effort and courage are not enough, without purpose and direction.

im def confertable doing it myself. Im just not sure about the resurfaceing of the rotors, I only did it once at my school. I can only afford to get brake pads at the moment. Thanks for the code.

meh, just replace the pads now. unless your rotors are warped or glazed then the rotors should be ok.

just remember right after you change the pads to PUMP the brake pedal before you drive off. It will go all the way to the floor for the first or two pumps. You may already know this but if not then this is important.

Replace your pads. If you wear them to the metal you could potentially heat your caliper up to the point the seals will melt. Not good.

Since your on a tight budget replace your pads, keep your rotors as it, top up fluid.
    Pump your brakes as 9G suggested, this will cut your pads so they make proper contact with the rotor, and build your caliper pressure.

I wouldn't recommend turning your rotors, anytime I've had this done I warped them in no time at all, due to the shaving and making the metal thinner, save the money and buy new rotors.

As previously mentioned r9concepts have good deals and the sales staff are actually quite knowledgeable.

Good luck :)

Local place 1: $800 for one new rotor rebuilt caliper and pads all around
    Local vietnamese place: 500 for one new rotor rebuilt caliper and pads all around
    Local iranian place: $300 for one new rotor rebuilt caliper and pads all around

Check some local small places, you can save some money.

This was on my mom's accord when the caliper had pushed the pistons into the rotor. The iranian guy took a week to get it done but we saved a ton of cash on it.
    Last edited by stonent; 06-03-2011 at 11:04 PM

hahaha thats mad funny. hey as long as you got the car back.

a quick re-cap i got two oem spec rotors for 50$ and brake pads for $60. i replaced them myself. I found out that on one side there was no screws holding the rotor on and on the other side there were no clips for the pads. my new rotors has to holes for the screws but won line up, so i just left them. everythings working fine but my brake fluid is still low. do i just add more?

forget the screws on the rotor. it gets to be a pain when it gets old. And yes, if you have the new pads in and still low then add more.