The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Stock Speaker Impedance

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

Stock Speaker Impedance

Anyone know what the Impedance is for the stock speakers in an 8g. I have searched here and google with no luck and just getting pissed now. My amp took a shit and starting to whine, so a friend gave me his old JL 300/4v2 since he totaled the car it was in and didn't want it anymore. It's getting hot, which I know it will do, but the Amber "Low Ohm" light is on, which basically means that my impedance for all or some speakers is below 1.5 Ohms. Anyone know how I can fix this if it's just the speakers being crappy, or is there another trick? And I'm buying new speakers eventually just not yet, so please don't tell me that.

Most cars speakers are always 4ohms. As long as each channel is powering one speaker than you should be fine. So, make sure the amp isn't wired in parallel, and isn't bridged. Then if it is still lighting up, you will need to make sure the factory amp is bypassed. If it is, then, there may be an internal issue in the JL amp.

Since the wires from the amp go directly to the speakers I know the factory amp is bypassed, he said the amp started acting up right before the accident so that is a viable problem (but it was free and better than my PowerAcoustik), and I know nothing is bridged and each channel goes to a different speaker. So for now I'll assume he (and you) are right and the amp is going. I hope it holds on till I can get my new Kicker stuff, unless anyone recommends different brands to be affordable and good quality.

Actually Power Acoustik makes nice and inexpensive equipment, at least it was when I was selling and installing stereos. Other than that, Kicker, Rockford Fosgate, Sound Stream, Directed Electronics, Memphis, and Elemental Designs.

Ok thanks, I have a soft spot for Kicker, mostly cuz I plan on getting a 12" Solobaric when the time comes to get my angry boom boom on again.

I have 2 kicker comp12's and a MTX amp. Alpine speakers are pretty good too, if you're planning on going that way.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    -Andrew

JL audio can handle down to 1.5 ohms, since you replaced the factory amp I would meter all the speakers to see where you are at low impedance indicates possible blown coil, stock amplified systems use lower resistance on their speakers. I know Bose is 2Ohm. 'm sure the JL will be more than enough for the speakers assuming they aren't blown.

Coolest newb eva!
    4ohms for the base stereo systems, and 2ohms for the Infinity system.

Bee-Rad is right. Each speaker in the Infinity system is 2 ohms.

As far as actually buying equipment, Kicker has decent amps. They do rated, and are pretty reliable. I usually categorize Power Acoustik along with all of the Maxxsonics stuff(Hifonics, Crunch, MB Quart, Autotek). It's all cheap, and quality control is completely lost in all of them. You might have a working Power Acoustik amp, but the next might not even be soldered correctly. They've all got quite a bit of distortion, and if they're not CEA-2006 compliant, don't even think about buying. If you're on a budget(even if you're not necessarily on a budget), you should look into Cadence amps. Cadence amps are made in Korea(not China, like the ones I mentioned earlier), and they do rated. Their ZRS line is amazing - they can be run at 16V, have less than 0.01% THD at their rated power, have adjustable(not just talking about crossover points, or LPF and HPF; you can change the dB drop per octave) crossovers, subsonic filter even on 4 channels, etc. More expensive amps can be had, although they're not necessary(Elemental Designs, Zapco, Kicker, Rockford Fosgate).

Other possible options are Audioque amps, or Sundown amps, although Sundowns are pretty expensive and I'm afraid they're not really worth their price tags.

Speakers are completely different, though. Hertz, Morel, Massive Audio, Image Dynamics, and CDT Audio are pretty good choices for speakers. Hybrid-Audio Technologies are great as well, and even their "entry level" line, which is given the entry level moniker just because it's their cheapest line, will sound great. They can be either coaxials or separates(take the tweeter off with a screwdriver).

Focals are pretty popular, although they're known for having harsh tweeters. Silk tweeters are known for the softest/most warm sound, while Aluminum or other metal alloys tend to have a tinny sound.

Then again, if you are REALLY into sound quality, you'll want to run an active setup(which the Cadence amps are very capable of doing!), and you'll need to mismatch parts. Silver Flute 6.5" woofers are pretty nice, and cheap. Vifa makes nice tweeters. You can find many other brands with many other choices, and none of them will disappoint.

I've noticed that my 8G(don't know if everyone's Gs are similar) tends to let in a lot of road noise, so sound deadening is a great option. There are many brands worth trying, none of which are Dynamat. Audio Technix, SecondSkin, FatMatt, they're all pretty good(although I'm biased; Audio Technix is my favorite). One layer usually isn't enough; you could probably use a good 100-150 sq ft of sound deadening in your car, depending on if you wanted to do the headliner, floor, and trunk. When deadening the doors, be sure to do both the interior and exterior side of the inner metal door frame, and do the interior side of the outer frame. Be sure to fill all of the holes in your doors with plexiglass or MDF or something, use baffles and gaskets to make sure the speakers are installed correctly. Use a deflex pad(you can use closed cell foam if you aren't afraid of moisture).

I'm sure there's more that I'm forgetting, and if you need/want help with anything you end up doing, don't be afraid to PM me.

FYI: I can give you links to specific online stores for specific products, but I wasn't sure if there was a rule against it?
    '03 Sterling Silver GTZ

Wow Deadeye....thats pretty damned comprehensive. Thanks! I must say that I talked to my local car place (only guys I ever let touch my Hummer when I had it) about Kicker stuff. They are dealers and I get a warranty thanks to that. As it stands I'm not looking to do tweeters, but want to put in KS series 6.5" and 6x9's with a 350/4 amp soon. Eventually I'll have them install a 12" Kicker CompVX in a ported box with a 750.1 Kicker amp. The one guy I have always dealt with talked me out of dropping all my money on JL Audio. I'm kinda thankful, I need school money lol.

I definitely need to invest in some sound deadening just in hopes that it eliminates some vibrations that even my underpowered subs cause. I will check out the ones you mention too cuz I do not wanna over pay for Dynomat.

If I run into anymore questions I will definitely PM you, thanks again!

Nick