The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Rattle from engine in front pass side

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16
    rocgalant

Rattle from engine in front pass side

It is a rattle coming from the front pass side of the engine bay. It happens mostly when I step on the throttle while the trans is engaged. If I throw it to neutral and step on the gas, the rattle does not occur. It also rattles when the car on and parked with a/c on. I haven't put my car on jacks yet to look under but I looked inside the top of the engine bay to see if I could find anything. No dice. Any ideas?

TGC Regular
    Engine mount is going out buddy. Simple as that.

2002 ES i4 SOHC Mitsubishi Galant

rocgalant
    Really? I only have 44k mi on my car and I don't drive hard at all. Could the mount have gone out already?

TGC Regular
    Well, from what you discribe. I only can tell you the sickness from the symptoms. Not meaning the bushing, it could be the mount bolts are loose or the bolt is weakening. Something related to the mounts.

rocgalant
    Oh. That's disappointing news. I'll look into this further. Do you think atwo hand push on the motor would give me a good indication that the mounts are bad (other than the previously described symptoms)?

Maybe it's the heat-shielding casing on the exhaust manifold. Check the presence of all the bolts in the housing and as they tightened.
    Turbo - it is a snail, but the bitch is very fast.

rocgalant
    Thanks for your suggestions guys. I'll lift my car when I get a chance...hopefully today.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    lol at the engine mount going out and as simple as that comment.

its the heat shield. trust me. i got 4 of them removed already. i wonder if my mitsu dealer ever put each occurrence on their TSB.

rocgalant
    Quote Originally Posted by 9G View Post
    lol at the engine mount going out and as simple as that comment.

its the heat shield. trust me. i got 4 of them removed already. i wonder if my mitsu dealer ever put each occurrence on their TSB.
    Did you have similar symptoms on your shields?

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    exactly the same. think about it, it rattles when your car vibrates the most. i believe at about 900-1k rpm is a sweet spot where the engine vibrates the most and your rattle should occur.

TGC Regular
    Had this problem before but it didnt come from the front pass side but in the mid it self. Mine was from the starter heat shield under the headers and exaust manifold head shield.

It all depends on the type of sound. Usually that kind of thing with that timing tends to be one of the heat shields. 9g's has about 14 of them if I recall. Or... could be a lot worse.

Effort and courage are not enough, without purpose and direction.

rocgalant
    Phew thanks for all of the replies. That's more encouraging. I looked under my hood while my friend revved in park and in neutral. The sound didn't happen at all and the motor appeared hold firm in place. So, I'm inclined (maybe wishful thinking) to think that you all have the right idea. I'll take it in to the dealership next week. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by rocgalant View Post
    Phew thanks for all of the replies. That's more encouraging. I looked under my hood while my friend revved in park and in neutral. The sound didn't happen at all and the motor appeared hold firm in place. So, I'm inclined (maybe wishful thinking) to think that you all have the right idea. I'll take it in to the dealership next week. Thanks again.
    If it doesn't do it in park... most likely it's one of the heat shields... usually a $20 fix. A few bucks for the new clamp and then 15 for the time/labor.

Effort and courage are not enough, without purpose and direction.

mount

Sounds like same problem my galant is having. It is the fwd engine mount and under acceleration the engine twists fwd and pulls the spring mounted exhaust manifold apart. Put the car in gear, foot on break and push accelerator, you will hear it and if on a lift you will see it.

Mine is also making weird noise and coming from under the car. Took it to the dealer and confirmed it was the heatshield. I ask for warranty work and was told that my car is not covered because it is over 5yrs.old. Then I hit him with the TSB, he played dumb and pretended he was not aware of any TSB regarding the heatshield. I gave him the TSB# and booked me to have the heatshield fixed.

Technical Service Bulletin - Mitsupartsworld