The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Speedometer doesn't work, Odometer frozen.

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

Speedometer doesn't work, Odometer frozen.

Hey guys, I'm having issues with my speedometer and odometer in my 2002 Galant ES. I installed an after market radio with an adapter harness so I didn't have to cut any wires. I've done my research and read pretty much every post that seemed to be describing problem I'm having. Here's what I've done so far:

1. Replaced output and input speed sensors.
    2. Put factory radio back in.
    3. Replaced instrument cluster.
    4. Check/replaced fuses in hood and dash.
    5. Read wires on speed sensor harnesses.
    6. Read wires behind instrument cluster.

The only thing that jumped out at me was on the VSS (yellow/black) wire, behind the instrument cluster, I read only 3vdc when I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to read 5vdc. Could this be where the problem is?

I'm running out of things to do here and I would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.

yellow fuse holder in the fusebox under the hood.

Do you have the factory radio? If so, I'd try swapping it back in the vehicle. There is either some sort of wiring issue with the radio that was installed. Or by some extremely odd set of circumstances the aftermarket radio (my educated guess) is providing improper voltage to other system components. You need to remove the variables (the new radio) from the equation, get back to square one, and see where you are at then.

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax View Post
    What does the yellow fuse holder in the hood control? I have not checked that yet but I will in the morning. I appreciate the input.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    Do you have the factory radio? If so, I'd try swapping it back in the vehicle. There is either some sort of wiring issue with the radio that was installed. Or by some extremely odd set of circumstances the aftermarket radio (my educated guess) is providing improper voltage to other system components. You need to remove the variables (the new radio) from the equation, get back to square one, and see where you are at then.
    I have swapped the factory radio in. I've pretty much went through a whole process of elimination. I've removed the variables and pretty much started from scratch. I'm willing to try pretty much anything as long as it makes progress in fixing my car. Thanks for the input. It is much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax View Post
    I just checked the fuses in that yellow fuse holder and both fuses are fine. One was for the dome light and I assume the other was for audio.

So today, I went in and read the VSS (yellow/black) wire behind the instrument cluster and it read 3vdc and it's supposed to read 5vdc. This is with the factory radio back in. I replaced every single fuse both in the hood and in the driver side dash. Still reading 3vdc. I'm pretty sure this is where the problem lies. Is it possible for the speedometer and odometer not function if its not getting the 5 volts it needs? By the way, my odometer shows mileage, it just doesn't rack up any new miles. This makes sense because the speedometer doesn't work, therefore, the odometer doesn't think the car is moving. I got the car tested and it was reading the speed so I know it has to be electrical.

mikeymuscles23
    I am having the exact same problem with my galant! and on top of it my dashboard lights are not working either! I thought for sure it was the VSS until i read your post. Please let me know if you ever fix the problem because i too am running out of ideas! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeymuscles23 View Post
    I am having the exact same problem with my galant! and on top of it my dashboard lights are not working either! I thought for sure it was the VSS until i read your post. Please let me know if you ever fix the problem because i too am running out of ideas! Thanks!
    What have you already tried? I'm gonna dive into this again tomorrow and see what else is out of place. I'm gonna chase that VSS wire and try to find out why I'm only getting 3volts out of it. I'll keep you updated. I was kind of hope there would be more replies with possible solutions. It seems like every post I read ended with the problem magically fixing itself. Weird. I wish mine would fix itself.

Guys I have good news and bad news, I had the same problem on my 8G for about two years before finally pinpointing the problem. After I installed my aftermarket radio, with a harness from best buy, my speedometer stop working. Turns out that the harness was shooting voltage trough a wire that was suppose to be for the auto volume on the gtz model (you know that feature when you have your windows down you volume adjusts it's self automatically) and fried that part on the cars computer. I know, it sucks. If I remember correctly it's the remote cable or the acc cable, to fix the problem get a new computer and either eliminate the harness or find the cable going to the computer and reroute it. I will search for the wire diagram I got from the guy who helped me with it and post it here. I'm sure this is the problem and hope you guys get it fixed. Good luck. By the way does anyone have a 4 cylinder es engine in the south Florida area. My baby is down and out and everyone wants 700 - 1000 for one, which I think is crazy. Peace out homies

Quote Originally Posted by Machete View Post
    Guys I have good news and bad news, I had the same problem on my 8G for about two years before finally pinpointing the problem. After I installed my aftermarket radio, with a harness from best buy, my speedometer stop working. Turns out that the harness was shooting voltage trough a wire that was suppose to be for the auto volume on the gtz model (you know that feature when you have your windows down you volume adjusts it's self automatically) and fried that part on the cars computer. I know, it sucks. If I remember correctly it's the remote cable or the acc cable, to fix the problem get a new computer and either eliminate the harness or find the cable going to the computer and reroute it. I will search for the wire diagram I got from the guy who helped me with it and post it here. I'm sure this is the problem and hope you guys get it fixed. Good luck. By the way does anyone have a 4 cylinder es engine in the south Florida area. My baby is down and out and everyone wants 700 - 1000 for one, which I think is crazy. Peace out homies
    How much does it cost to have the computer replaced?

I guess it depends on where you get it from. They are usually about 200 bucks. The computer worked except for the part that controls the speedometer. I changed it the first time and drove it, speedo worked till I turned on the radio, that's when we knew it was the radio. Had to get a second one. Clipped that wire mentioned above and viola. Let me know how it goes.