The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: What do you think is the best wheel size for the Galant?

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

What do you think is the best wheel size for the Galant?

Hey guys I'm looking for a few opinions. What do you guys think is the best wheels size for the 8th gen Galant? And why? Does a different size really affect your cars performance. I still don't know what 'offset' means. Any and all information is appreciated. I'm searching the old threads doing research but I figured I would ask the community for their input (I am all about asking those who know more than me for help). Thanks in advance for your help.

NOTE: If you need to know the wheels. I'm thinking of getting ROTA P-45R's
    (thanks ADExternal). There's links below to pics of both the wheels and my car.

rota p45r
    "We Do Not Sow."

Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RavenPhoenix View Post
    Hey guys I'm looking for a few opinions. What do you guys think is the best wheels size for the 8th gen Galant? And why? Does a different size really affect your cars performance. I still don't know what 'offset' means. Any and all information is appreciated. I'm searching the old threads doing research but I figured I would ask the community for their input (I am all about asking those who know more than me for help). Thanks in advance for your help.

NOTE: If you need to know the wheels. I'm thinking of getting ROTA P-45R's
    (thanks ADExternal). There's links below to pics of both the wheels and my car.

rota p45r
    Wheel size is relative to your liking and the style you want for your car. I personally have 20's since that the style I liked when I got them, they aren't cutting it anymore. So I would say between 17" and 18". Why, I don't know those sizes give you a nice balance between tire and wheel, obviously with my 20's I have a thin tire and feel every little rock or pothole.So with 17" 18" you get more tire, also a little less risk to crack the wheels.

As I see offset its how far in or far out your wheel/tire will sit on the wheel well. You need the right combination between width/offset/tire/ride height to pull it off, if the combination is wrong you will rub on the suspension or with fender/quarter panel.
    Look here VV
    http://www.gtsparkplugs.com/WheelOffsetCalc.html

And I don't know much of the offsets/width/tire combinations for the 8g but thats going to be a tight fit since those p45 are 9" wide, but it may be possible with the right tire and offset, fender rolling/cutting is a must, may need fender flairs, and on the suspension side may need coilovers to have more room. Thats my opinion, wait for the wheel/tire experts on this site to give you the exact measure and offsets.

Check out member: greddy
    https://www.thegalantcenter.org/show...=31660&page=10
    he has some crazy wheel width/offset/tire combo 17x9 +27 255/40 tire but he did some major cutting, have's fender flares and coilovers.
    Last edited by OMEGA PHX; 05-26-2011 at 11:11 PM

4g64T 5spd

TGC Regular
    I had 17" for about 3 years and finally just got my 18s and boy does it make a big difference. Hmmm for those rotas I personally would go with 18s" w/ 215/45/18 kuhmo or good year. Love their fitting, but it depends on your area if you want all season winter etc. Also like omega said it's all personal preference.

2002 ES i4 SOHC Mitsubishi Galant

Quote Originally Posted by ADExternal View Post
    I had 17" for about 3 years and finally just got my 18s and boy does it make a big difference. Hmmm for those rotas I personally would go with 18s" w/ 215/45/18 kuhmo or good year. Love their fitting, but it depends on your area if you want all season winter etc. Also like omega said it's all personal preference.
    go w/ 225/40r18, it's closer to stock diameter to keep the speedo accurate and the tranny happy. it's also a more common size giving you more options on tires.

also keep in mind that the size of the tires/wheels will greatly affect the price. as far as tires go, rule of thumb is that the bigger the wheel diameter, the more expensive the tires: for similar tires, 17's cost much less than 18's which cost much less than 19's, etc.
    Last edited by Reelax; 05-26-2011 at 09:14 PM

So let me get this straight can I fit a 9.5 wide rim on the Galant? I was thinking the Rota's where too wide.
    "We Do Not Sow."

TGC Regular
    If you get the Rota p45f its 18x8.5 Mine barely not rub with 18x8.5 w/ 225/45/18. Though I want to get 225/40/18 for the reason Reelax said. So I'm goign to assume that 18x9.5 is to wide. Someone confirm this please. Thx

2002 ES i4 SOHC Mitsubishi Galant

Quote Originally Posted by RavenPhoenix View Post
    So let me get this straight can I fit a 9.5 wide rim on the Galant? I was thinking the Rota's where too wide.
    sure with the right offset, 9.5 can fit on the 8G, but it's pushing the limits and you may have to do some work to the fenders, suspension, camber adjustment, etc. 7.5 w/ a +45mm offset is the easiest, sure fit size for our cars so stay close to that in order to have the least issues.

Hi Reelax,

How about +45 18x8.5, 225/45/18. with coilovers lowering 1 inch. Will it rub? will heavier wheels upset the tranny (shorten its life)

Quote Originally Posted by zyro View Post
    Hi Reelax,

How about +45 18x8.5, 225/45/18. with coilovers lowering 1 inch. Will it rub? will heavier wheels upset the tranny (shorten its life)
    You would want to use 225/40R18s.

i phear 40s is too thin, and i work in an industrial area with lots of potholes. Dun wanna end up messing up my rims on a deep hole. 45/18s are upsized 4%. i would think maybe 215/45/18s a possibility?

You would be better off with 215/45R18, but many members such as myself have run 35 series tires without issues. And I have hit some MAJOR holes before without issues. The key thing is to buy better tire brands, such as Michelin, Continental, Goodyear and their associate brands (BFGoodrich, General, Dunlop). That and I'd recommend running 35psi at all corners for those 18" tires, that will ensure your tires have the proper load carrying capacity.

To explain why the slight increase in air pressure is important? This ensures that the tires (which are usually 'extra load' tires), which simply mean they allow for higher air pressure capacity, can properly absorb impacts. It will also preserve the sidewalls ability to properly dissipate heat, and retain proper sideload characteristics (handling). Plus when you so that you will increase your gas mileage (relative to how you drive) and your tire's overall treadlife. My 19" BFG's lasted me roughly 35,000 miles, absolutely unheard of for those tires, I ran them with 35psi.
    Last edited by RedGalant2k1; 09-28-2011 at 02:54 PM

You can try going with 235/40/18, they are a bit beefier, but you will either need spacers in rear or fender roll.