The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: power steering sound

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

power steering sound

lately there's been a lot of raining a a lot of water on the road i mean like almost to the bumper water. after a while i noticed a sound, its the same sound as when car is running out of power steering oil. the sound is very loud it sounds horrible, the thing is that the sound goes away when i turn on the ac. it goes way down it still sounds but u gotta be paying attention. could this be that my power steering pump is dying on me?

Quote Originally Posted by Joker96 View Post
    lately there's been a lot of raining a a lot of water on the road i mean like almost to the bumper water. after a while i noticed a sound, its the same sound as when car is running out of power steering oil. the sound is very loud it sounds horrible, the thing is that the sound goes away when i turn on the ac. it goes way down it still sounds but u gotta be paying attention. could this be that my power steering pump is dying on me?
    Hmm...it's very weird that your sound goes away with the A/C. Is it a gurgling sound? Remove the belt going to the power steering pump, then start the engine to see if the sound goes away. If it does go away, then it's your power steering pump either failing or not getting enough P/S oil. It's also possible that water has somehow managed to enter into the power steering system and has contaminated the oil.

If the sound persists after removing the P/S belt, I'd suspect something is up with the clutch on the A/C compressor. (Maybe water got into it?)
    Last edited by mygalantwasfree; 05-27-2011 at 06:26 PM
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

1997 Galant ES with '94-95 style front end and '97 style rear

i found out its the ac compressor. i removed the ac belt and sound went away, i guess the ac clutch because the ac worked great. do you know where can i get just the clutch?

Quote Originally Posted by Joker96 View Post
    i found out its the ac compressor. i removed the ac belt and sound went away, i guess the ac clutch because the ac worked great. do you know where can i get just the clutch?
    I have the clutch! in fact, I ripped out my entire working A/C compressor a while ago! PM me about shipping it to you. The only problem is, I don't know a whole lot about A/C. (I ripped out my entire A/C system the day I got the car, thus I have no real experience with it. As a mechanic with my small car repair business, I also don't generally touch A/C stuff)

I don't know if it's possible to just replace the clutch. Can someone else here on the forums clarify this?
    Last edited by mygalantwasfree; 06-07-2011 at 02:30 PM
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

1997 Galant ES with '94-95 style front end and '97 style rear

Am not sure either, i havent seen any online for the galant. Ur ur selling ur ac stuff, am willing to buy some stuff from it.