The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: is it worth it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 24

Icon5 is it worth it?

Ok so i have a friend that has a 91 eagle talon he is selling for 150.00 here's its problem..... it was origally auto tranny, he swapped it to 5 speed since he did that the tranny will not stay bolted to the block (it keeps breaking the bolts) he has tried two other trannys to see if that's the problem and the same thing keeps reoccuring? As for the rest of the car its in decent shape couple dings and what not, motor runs great. Would it be something fixable worth my time? If so how would i go about fixing it / what is causing this to happen? Sould i steer clear of it, he is tired of dealing with it ( hints the cheap price).

Experienced TGC Member
    For 150 its a valueable learning experience.

EVO 4G
    03 ES 5spd--Rota torque gloss black 17x8 et. 35--Hankook Ventus V12 evo 235/45/17--D2 coilovers--DC Sports STB--Intake--Brembo calipers--Powerslot Rotors--Stoptech Pads--SS brakes lines--35% tint--5k heads & 5k fogs--Alpine headunit--Kicker 400w amp--Alphasonix sub

Me thinks it's a total money pit, and you'll regret buying it.

-Chris-

2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L SOHC: "Octavia"
    2005 Honda Accord EX-L Coupe 2.4L DOHC

Quote Originally Posted by XxGiRLaNT06xX View Post
    From the looks of the girl, her face isnt that great.. nothing a paper bag couldnt fix... amirite?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyforger View Post
    Me thinks it's a total money pit, and you'll regret buying it.
    That's what i was thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by djhah View Post
    That's what i was thinking.
    More than likely, it's probably been beaten to high hell, abused and neglected.

-Chris-

From the looks of the girl, her face isnt that great.. nothing a paper bag couldnt fix... amirite?

Experienced TGC Member johnygezony's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyforger View Post
    More than likely, it's probably been beaten to high hell, abused and neglected.
    as that fate of many DSM's these days :(

Quote Originally Posted by johnygezony View Post
    as that fate of many DSM's these days :(
    On another forum I frequent, there's a DSM enthusiast, and he says the sane thing, a good, well taken care of DSM, especially a 1st gen, are almost non-existant.

-Chris-

That's nice to know

The threads in the block could be stripped or he could be using the wrong thread type on the bolts.If the threads are worn you could clean them up if you wanted to with a tap and die set.

hi i know this is off topic but how do i post a new tread im new here i would love to know how to do it thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smash410 View Post
    hi i know this is off topic but how do i post a new tread im new here i would love to know how to do it thanks
    you go to the section you need using the scroll thing at the bottom and find the generation which is by the year of the car,then click the section you need and when you get to that page at the bottom it says new thread and you click on it and you can post a new thread.

thanks alot man i got it

Quote Originally Posted by galantlvr34 View Post
    The threads in the block could be stripped or he could be using the wrong thread type on the bolts.If the threads are worn you could clean them up if you wanted to with a tap and die set.
    See i was wondering if that was a possabilaty but i don't know if if would be worth the time/ money to get into. Plus i am in the middle of a project with my g right now so that's why i am on the fence about it.

See i was wondering if that was a possabilaty but i don't know if if would be worth the time/ money to get into. Plus i am in the middle of a project with my g right now so that's why i am on the fence about it.
    yeah i hear you on that one,thats the only thing it could be really it has be something with the threads.

My origanal thought was get it fix it sell it..... but i don't want to sell a money pit off, just to make money i am to honest for that i wouldn't want it done to me.

I'm going to guess that the dowel pins are missing. The bolts themselves isnt strong enough to hold the trans up on the motor.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover View Post
    I'm going to guess that the dowel pins are missing. The bolts themselves isnt strong enough to hold the trans up on the motor.
    yeah that could be a possibility to

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover View Post
    How would i check that without pulling tranny from motor, being it not my car its a buddys he probly wouldn't let me pull tranny to look he lives in appartments. Is it possable?

I am not sure if this matters but the motor looks to be sitting high on the timming belt side it looks like its sitting slanted, but all motor mounts are intact and look good?

I am not sure if this matters but the motor looks to be sitting high on the timming belt side it looks like its sitting slanted, but all motor mounts are intact and look good?
    Run away.

-Chris-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast