The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Back from the grave!

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Back from the grave!

So about 6-8 weeks ago a shop did a timing belt and water pump job on the G and when I got her back she blew up the next day... I came to find out that it was there fault and they completely F'D my motor and had to completely replace it. well after 4 weeks of sitting I got her back Thursday afternoon and she ran pretty good..today I spent half the day detailing and cleaning her and come to find out the battery and brake light are flashing and the car wouldn't turn on, I got it jumped and it ran decent but once I shut if off it wouldn't come back on so now I gotta see whats wrong with it... FML well heres some photos of her all cleaned up....

before

Looks good! What made you decide to stick with the 8Gb nose?

Sounds like your alternator is gone, btw.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    -Andrew

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    If his alternator was bad, I don't know how long the engine would last on just the battery's charge, especially if it couldn't start with the juice that was in the battery as is.

Im thinking its the battery cause I drove the car around and it was fine.. but once I turned it off and tried to restart it is when It wouldn't crank

The easiest way to check would be to take your battery to any auto parts store that does battery charging and testing. They will hook it up to a charger/tester, and it will tell you if the battery has a problem or if it's just low on charge. That way you can narrow it down to which one of the two is causing the problem.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

You are here entirely tooo much!! 99 galant's Avatar
    Starter? Mine use to do that. I've had to replace two starters because the dipship that replaced the first one used a "refurbished" one. NEVER do that. Saving $80 only costs you $400 down the road. I wish I knew he was using a used one.

starter was replaced new with the motor

The Galant looks good despite your issues. I really like the look of those Eclipse wheels on there.

I worked on a 3rd gen Eclipse Spyder with the 4G64 with a very similar issue, and it was the alternator. Fried his starter solenoid (damn thing erupted from what I saw) and fried the starter cables. Once the starter was replaced, I noticed the alternator was putting out +18 volts, popped a headlight in the process of testing.

Oh, I might add...changing a starter in these motors is a GODDAMN PAIN IN MY ASS. D:

-Chris-

2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L SOHC: "Octavia"
    2005 Honda Accord EX-L Coupe 2.4L DOHC

Quote Originally Posted by XxGiRLaNT06xX View Post
    From the looks of the girl, her face isnt that great.. nothing a paper bag couldnt fix... amirite?

It's possible to run a little bit on just a battery alone. The brake and battery lights only come on with a dying/dead alternator.

And in turn the battery dies, obviously.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    -Andrew