The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Timing Belt and water pump at about 67,500miles

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

Timing Belt and water pump at about 67,500miles

Posted this up in 4G forums. Thought I'd follow up here.

Hello everyone,

I just got back from having my timing belt, Water pump, and Spark plugs changed. I'm writing this post as a reference for both cost and wear of the components.
    Note: I'm a very "spirited" driver

This is on my 6G75 9G RA

Cost

Total cost of parts after taxes = 267$CAD
    Totat cost of labour after Taxes = 465$CAD
    -------------------------------------------
    Total: 732$CAD

Condition

Spark plugs:
    All the spark plugs taken out were brown around the edges, with no visible sign of carbon build up. Seemed to be in good shape, replaced anyways.

Water Pump
    The water pump was in very good condition, the bearing on the pulley showed no "play" and all seals were intact with no leakage.
    I didn't bother with a picture as you couldn't really tell the condition unless you were holding it.

Timing Belt
    The timing belt showed no signs of cracks or wear... I was very surprised that it seemed to be in pretty good shape for 67K miles.

All in all the parts held up very well... I was surprised to see how good of condition they were in. The car could of went much longer with this maintenance.
    Pictures:
    http://imageshack.us/f/543/img0789f.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/f/694/img0790q.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/f/233/img0788ps.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/f/844/img0787nr.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/f/822/img0786fk.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/f/805/img0785g.jpg/

Cheers,

-M

Quote Originally Posted by monnewbie3 View Post

Fixed

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    yeah on my first tbelt change at 60k, the belt look as good as the new belt it was replaced with the exception of a lighter color. no cracks, no wear, no nothing.

its good to be safe anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    Fixed

davila825
    465 in labor...ouch...good thing i do my own belt changes....better safe than sorry. good job on the 60k maintenance

It is a rotten job to squeeze into the small space between the flywheel and chassis rails to do the belt etc.

I happily pay to have it done unless I am feeling particularly saddistic to my knuckles.

Thanks mon. Good to have a reference.

I'm not going to bother to convert to CAD so I'll give you USD and you can convert it yourself lol.

Timing belt is usually about $500, spark plugs about $100. As far as how well everything lasted... you gotta remember that the timing belt, fluid flush, spark plugs.. etc.. are all "recommended" to be changed at 60k. But if the car isn't abused then most of the time the timing belt can go up to 100k pretty easy.

Effort and courage are not enough, without purpose and direction.

Quote Originally Posted by tr1kst4nce View Post
    I'm not going to bother to convert to CAD so I'll give you USD and you can convert it yourself lol.

Timing belt is usually about $500, spark plugs about $100. As far as how well everything lasted... you gotta remember that the timing belt, fluid flush, spark plugs.. etc.. are all "recommended" to be changed at 60k. But if the car isn't abused then most of the time the timing belt can go up to 100k pretty easy.
    True, I didn't change my timing belt until 120k miles, no problem, I wouldn't do that again, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk fam!

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    True, I didn't change my timing belt until 120k miles, no problem, I wouldn't do that again, though.

Do you have the 4G69? Those timing belts are rated for a higher service interval, I believe 80k Miles?
    It's recommended to change the 6G75 Belt at 65K, though I've seen guys push just over 80K, after that I've heard they break....

I just wanted to put this thread up for people that might be starting to sweat at 65K miles, as they know what a broken timing belt could do to our engines (although it's been reported that many of the 6G75 engines are fine even when they break the belt...no bent valves, this has been reported at 4G from a guy who worked at the dealer and seen many of these over the years).

Also, I want people to know what I paid, so it can serve as a reference point for when you go and quotes done. Not everyone is savvy as to what a "good" price is, the dealer usually charges about 1100$-1400$.

-M
    Last edited by monnewbie3; 06-01-2011 at 07:10 AM

Monnewbie, I have the 4g64 2003 Es galant, I took a risk no doubt, I got 14000 more miles left on this one, so maybe fall 2012 I'll be changing it again.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    wait. is your 65k in kilometers or miles? if its in kilometers then its way too early! also with the water pump.

Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    Monnewbie, I have the 4g64 2003 Es galant, I took a risk no doubt, I got 14000 more miles left on this one, so maybe fall 2012 I'll be changing it again.

Quote Originally Posted by 9G View Post
    wait. is your 65k in kilometers or miles? if its in kilometers then its way too early! also with the water pump.
    1. Ah ok, don't know the 4g64 engine.

2. Miles.

i changed mines at around 76,000 miles on my 4 cyclinder mivec, it was starting to crack, i probably had a few more months left before it broke which would have been all bad news had it cracked, last time i do that, next time ill change at 60-65K for peace of mind. I changed the 3 belts, the Timing , Balance , and Serpentine belts. Next time at around 130K ill be changing the 3 belts and the tensioners , water pump, and pulleys. remember to get Genuine OEM Mitsubishi parts for this mantenence/repair and remember to ask yourself this question... is going cheap and not paying the extra $150-300 (extra cost of going Genuine OEM Mitsu vs another brand) worth the higher risk of damaging your engine? (remember on this car when the belt breaks your engine goes bye bye and will need a rebuild)
    Last edited by XeoNoX; 04-04-2012 at 10:18 AM