The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: HID glare

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Icon5 HID glare

Hello all. I haven't posted for awhile on my g (actually the site has changed drastically since I last posted about 6 years ago) and I was hoping to get an opinion from you all that's 8g specific. I just ordered 55w 8000k HID for my g and I was wondering how well they work. From what I've gathered online, is that HIDs need projectors to really focus the light and that installing HIDs into headlights originally designed for halogens results in light being dispersed to a greater degree. Of course the lights are brighter in general, but for our model specifically, do you believe the HID light is being dispersed more in the regular reflective housing and if so to a degree that is a nuisance to other drivers?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I changed my account because I didn't remember my old password lol

I get up at 4 in the morning to go to work, and I have a three-mile stretch on a windy, back-country-like road, and on that road, I see more light in the trees than I do on the ground, and that's with my lights aimed down low, the intense part of the bean ain't much higher than the fogs. On the highway part, I see inside all the cars I pass, and certain cars (Miata's, lowered Civics), their rearview mirrors inside the car shine that bright light right back at me as I pass, so I know I'm in their eyes. I get flashed alot on that back road, so as soon as this settlement comes in, I'm retrofitting some FX-R projectors in. Xenons put out a different type of light in a different direction than incandescents, so the little cuts throw that light all over the place. People think the kits are brighter, but what they do is put all that light everywhere but down the road where you need it, it'll brighten your foreground (right in front of the car) which makes your eyes adjust to the bright part and impairs your distance vision. So if you can, do a retrofit, if not, at least try to aim them down and stick with lower kelvin (whiter) lights, not them crazy ass blues, that's what hurts passerby's eyes.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

If you're going to run HIDs without projectors, use 35W bulbs, 55W will cause terrible glare.

-Chris-

2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L SOHC: "Octavia"
    2005 Honda Accord EX-L Coupe 2.4L DOHC

Quote Originally Posted by XxGiRLaNT06xX View Post
    From the looks of the girl, her face isnt that great.. nothing a paper bag couldnt fix... amirite?

Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    I get up at 4 in the morning to go to work, and I have a three-mile stretch on a windy, back-country-like road, and on that road, I see more light in the trees than I do on the ground, and that's with my lights aimed down low, the intense part of the bean ain't much higher than the fogs. On the highway part, I see inside all the cars I pass, and certain cars (Miata's, lowered Civics), their rearview mirrors inside the car shine that bright light right back at me as I pass, so I know I'm in their eyes. I get flashed alot on that back road, so as soon as this settlement comes in, I'm retrofitting some FX-R projectors in. Xenons put out a different type of light in a different direction than incandescents, so the little cuts throw that light all over the place. People think the kits are brighter, but what they do is put all that light everywhere but down the road where you need it, it'll brighten your foreground (right in front of the car) which makes your eyes adjust to the bright part and impairs your distance vision. So if you can, do a retrofit, if not, at least try to aim them down and stick with lower kelvin (whiter) lights, not them crazy ass blues, that's what hurts passerby's eyes.
    I appreciate the lengthy comment wetamup2k3g. My lights should be primarily white (according to ddm). Whenever I get them I'll take some before and after pics to see how much they glare. Hopefully it's not a lot because despite projectors being ideal, they are much more expensive than 80 bucks for a conversion kit and require a large amount of time to get them right (and if you screw up ... I won't go there).

I found that this seems to help civic owners as cheesy of a fix it is. http://www.elantraxd.com/forums/show...-glare-shields

I would appreciate more feedback from others to see what their experiences have been too.

8000K is blue-purple. stay between 4250K-6000K for best performance; 4250K being the brightest (and most prevalent in OEM HID) and 6000K being the most colored while still having usable light and significant luminosity. rule of thumb: the higher the Kelvin (color temperature), the lower the candlepower (luminosity).

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax View Post
    8000K is blue-purple. stay between 4250K-6000K for best performance; 4250K being the brightest (and most prevalent in OEM HID) and 6000K being the most colored while still having usable light and significant luminosity. rule of thumb: the higher the Kelvin (color temperature), the lower the candlepower (luminosity).
    Reelax, I looked around quite a bit on youtube for the exact same lights by ddm to check for color and they were pretty white (with a hint of blue). Most OEM, from my research, runs at 35w and has a very narrow band of white light compared to 55w.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R25xllfT560

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W

Quote Originally Posted by thedreadedfrost View Post
    Reelax, I looked around quite a bit on youtube for the exact same lights by ddm to check for color and they were pretty white (with a hint of blue). Most OEM, from my research, runs at 35w and has a very narrow band of white light compared to 55w.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R25xllfT560

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W
    you are not going to get a good representation of the actual color or light dispersal from a youtube video. the light i'm talking about is not only the light you see when you look at the headlight but the light that is actually projected onto the road. keep researching and you will find out why most OEM systems run projector optics and 35W ~4250K; that simply is the best performing compromise of luminosity and color balance since it approaches the color of sunlight. the blue/purple you see when you look at projectors is the refraction at the beam pattern cuttoff which is often blue purple, not the actual light source color. HID that is 5000K+ was developed to imitate this color to those viewing the headlight but the more color (further from white) that the HID is tuned, the less usable light (brightness) is emitted from the HID... and even if the luminosity remains high relative to an incandescent light bulb, if the color temp is too far from natural sunlight, the light reflected back from objects may be harder for the human eye to detect. long story short, the further you go from 4250K, the less you will be able to see on the road. i currently 3 full HID kits and full custom relay networks on my car (35w 6000K H7 low, H1 hi, H3 projector fog all directly powered by the battery). the only change i would make is to retro D2S bi-xenon projectors and 50W 4300K D2S into my headlight's low beam section.
    Last edited by Reelax; 06-01-2011 at 02:28 PM

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyforger View Post
    If you're going to run HIDs without projectors, use 35W bulbs, 55W will cause terrible glare.
    Aside from melting up all your ballasts unless wired perfectly.