The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Rapid Overheating (I know, another thread)

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18

Rapid Overheating (I know, another thread)

Hi All,

i know its another overheating thread, but i have a very specific set of conditions that have caused it.

My Car over the last couple weeks was having a little trouble starting, it would take a few extra cranks of the starter than it should have, anyway a few days ago it just failed to start all together plus the rubber cap on the starter terminal melted, all i could hear was the solenoid click, no cranking what so ever, some sparking.

So what i did was to disconnect the wires on each terminal of the starter and tape them up, i had a friend push start the car and got it running, i brought it straight to my local mechanic, about 1/2 mile away.

While driving to the mechanic the temp gauge started to rise rapidly, while just arriving having driven at no more the 3000 rpm the gauge hit the top.

anyhow the mechanic changed out the starter with a one from a scrap galant and i picked it up.

The car started like a champ, better and quicker than it ever had, i though all was well.

while driving it home again the temp shot straight up.

so its being sitting idle for a day or two now, Today i poured in about 8 litres of water in the radiator (some came out cause i was trying to get air out)(Water cause i didnt have any coolant too hand ,will get tomorrow)

I disconnected the top hose and blew through it, fluid made it all the way through (No blockages i think) .

Basically it still drives perfectly, absolutely no change in performance or sound so i really hope its not a head gasket issue.

Im hoping its something electrical like a fuse or circuit as the started fryed itself.

There are no leaks, i just dumped some water out, parked it a few feet away, filled it back up, left it sit and no puddles or drips

Also the aircon will not blow hot air, only air heated via the engine compartment.

As always guys i really appreciate the expertise on this forum and all help that is offered not matter how minor.

Cheers,

Did you ever replace the thermostat on it?How hot did it get up to?

Does the temp shoot up while idling or just driving?
    Does the system build pressure? Squeeze the upper radiator hose while its running to find out
    Check to make sure the fans come on when the temp gets up. If not, check the fuses.

Usually low coolant level does that. Since the thermostat is activated by hot water/coolant and not by hot vapors which is usually in the system when the coolant is low. See if the top radiator hose is hot when it starts to overheat, if not the thermostat isnt opening assuming the coolant level is normal. Make sure the coolant overflow tank is 1/2 to 3/4 full at all times.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

I haven't done thermostat yet, it gets right up there to max temp. The top hose isn't hard to squeeze and and quite warm, not hot. I blew into the top hose into the engine, very hard felt blocked. I then blew into the top hose radiator side and coolant came out the engine hole. The sounds correct to me

The fans definitely able come on alright. It does heat up when idling too but no more than half way.

Also the heater as I said seems not to get hot at all.

Thermostat and lots of new coolant seems to be the first course of action.

Thanks for the inco

Bump

(Really broke, and weekend approaching, Parts shops will be closed)

yeah that would be the first thing to try is a thermostat and making sure the system is completely burped.Your oil looks fine and your coolant looks fine right they arent milky looking?

Might want to make sure that you're really full on fluid as well.
    Make sure the engine is cold first.
    Take the return hose off the bottle and put it into a jug of 50/50 mix.
    Take off the radiator cap and put your hand over the hole and pump the big hoses. You should see bubbles coming out and then it sucks liquid back in.

Do this for several minutes and put back together and idle for a few minutes (shouldn't be hot yet) and do it again.

Oil looks good, a little low, but good, Its only water in the system at the moment and its coming out clear.

Ill be on this tomorrow, ill get the oil and the coolant sorted out and see if that helps,

Cheers TGC

Oil changed, coolant flushed and changed, no oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil. The waterpump seems to work. Had the rad cap off and coolant was overflowing with ts engine running, fans came on. Seems the thermostat must be the culprit. Can't get hold of one till Tuesday though

In the past , I have taken the thermostat out, when I suspected it was bad, and ran the vehicle with out it. Not a great idea for long term fix,but when part not available, it works for the short run and save the possibility of overheat damage.
    Please, IF this is not a good idea, someone say so FAST

Im at a loss, according to the haynes manual as both top and bottom hoses are hot and under pressure the thermostat is either stuck open or working properly???

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeRad View Post
    Im at a loss, according to the haynes manual as both top and bottom hoses are hot and under pressure the thermostat is either stuck open or working properly???

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM?
    I've seen radiators for sale for $60 incl shipping if you think it might just be bad.
    http://compare.ebay.com/like/1806693...=sbar&_lwgsi=y

Please remember the car was driving perfectly Until the starter went. The temperature never got over a third. Only when the starter went this overheating happened

Quote Originally Posted by EFTPOWER View Post
    In the past , I have taken the thermostat out, when I suspected it was bad, and ran the vehicle with out it. Not a great idea for long term fix,but when part not available, it works for the short run and save the possibility of overheat damage.
    Please, IF this is not a good idea, someone say so FAST
    No don't do that. It can move too fast through radiator and not cool enough. If no thermostat use a washer with about a 1/2 -3/4" hole in it.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeRad View Post
    Please remember the car was driving perfectly Until the starter went. The temperature never got over a third. Only when the starter went this overheating happened
    Then something got disconnected or something as a result of messing with the starter.

fixed!!!!!!!, thermostat was the issue, the coolant must have just been washing back or circulating as far as the thermostat and flowing back. from where my temp is sitting right now, which is just under half at the highest and not fluctuating i think perhaps it was stuck open previously as the temp never went over a third and then somehow got stuck closed.

any how is working again and i didnt have to pay a mechanic, thanks again TGC

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    well i guess i will change mine again and see what happens. I have 4 radiators and so far only had to use one of them. I guess i will try that next

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678