The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: HELP!! Front end and steering vibrates when accelerating

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16

HELP!! Front end and steering vibrates when accelerating

Ok so this started to happen a few weeks ago.

I thought it's the tires and rebalancing did that... Still the same. When I accelerate it vibrates the entire front end when I let go on the gas pedal it's smooooth and when I step on it again it back to vibration. I floor it and it get worst. I don't think it's the barrings or the axel... The rims or the tires?!? anyone experienced this before? If yes how do you fix it... It's now getting annoying!

Thanks!

When your in neutral and rev a little does it vibrate? No CEL at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Almost sounds like a cylinder isn't firing. You wouldn't notice it too much idling but under load(acceleration) you would. More info needed.........

Nothing is misfiring, I checked it all. Sparks are new. Spark plug wiring is new. 2 ignition block thingy is new.

I dont even think it does anything with the engine. It only has 49,674 miles on it...

It feels like has to do something with the axel/suspension/tires/rims....

U really would have to test drive it to find out...

Jack it up and shake the tires at the 9 oclock and 3 oclock position,and the 12 oclock and 6 oclock position and see what happens from there.

have you looked at the engine mounts? i know its a newer car but can cause vibration issues.
    i assume you are running aftermarket rims with a reasonably low profile, may be worth checking that the rims arent buckled. one large pothole can do it, (they should have picked this up when balancing however)
    Aussie 380 GT: 20s, full zorst, Brakes, Interior

A friends car did something like that once the lug nuts were loose.

What's weird is he says it's only under load and gets worse as it increases. If it was tires or wheels I would think it would be all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by troubled4g64t View Post
    A friends car did something like that once the lug nuts were loose.
    I'll check that

Update:

Lugs r tight

Jacked up car wheels r good

Noticed the axel boot is cut open... That can't be good can it? Would that be the source of my vibration?

Experienced TGC Member jimmy_o2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KaziKai View Post
    Update:

Lugs r tight

Jacked up car wheels r good

Noticed the axel boot is cut open... That can't be good can it? Would that be the source of my vibration?
    Hey KaziKai long time no see

Boot cut open wont be the source of the vibration your getting tho i would recommend you get that replace ASAP.

Vibrations are caused by Wheels/tires not balance correctly, Lug Nuts Loose, Brake Rotor are warped if you dont have the Sloted / Drilled rotors then you can have the resurface. My local shop chargers about 10 - 15 buck a rotor Last thing to check would be uneven worn tires
    03 I4

ive also heard that play in the sway bars can cause vibrations. maybe a more senior galant owner can verify or dispute this?

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_o2 View Post
    Hey KaziKai long time no see

Boot cut open wont be the source of the vibration your getting tho i would recommend you get that replace ASAP.

Vibrations are caused by Wheels/tires not balance correctly, Lug Nuts Loose, Brake Rotor are warped if you dont have the Sloted / Drilled rotors then you can have the resurface. My local shop chargers about 10 - 15 buck a rotor Last thing to check would be uneven worn tires
    Hey Jimmy_02!!

Yeah it's been awhile! How have you been?

Was selling my G... But decided to keep my baby G...

I'm just wondering is there a temp fix for the boot? I was thinking of duct taping it for now...

Rotor/pads are new 1 week old

Tires do need to be changed... I did get one new tire in the front cause I got a sidewall, come to think about it... That might be it... I'll go get another tire today to see if that makes any changes.

Thanks

Hey Jimmy_02!!

I'm just wondering is there a temp fix for the boot? I was thinking of duct taping it for now...

Tires do need to be changed... I did get one new tire in the front cause I got a sidewall, come to think about it... That might be it... I'll go get another tire today to see if that makes any changes.

Thanks
    There aren't any temporary fixes for the CV Axle, except to replace it.

Having a tire with a lot more tread than the others will give you some vibration... Dunno if it'd be that bad. Rotate it to the back, and keep matching tires in the front.
    -Andrew

MIne shook like that on acceleration when my local Town Fair Tire decided not to torque two of the the drivers front lug nuts. ended up snapping one of the lug studs after about 2 miles. same thing only shook during acceleration and braking

Experienced TGC Member jimmy_o2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DTP View Post
    There aren't any temporary fixes for the CV Axle, except to replace it.

Having a tire with a lot more tread than the others will give you some vibration... Dunno if it'd be that bad. Rotate it to the back, and keep matching tires in the front.
    Actually there is well i would call it Mickey Mouse Job but its a CV boot that split in half and you glue it together tho i would not recommend it at all if your gonna spend the money spend it right the first time plus they dont last I think 2 months at most from experience on my sis car

Hey Jimmy_02!!

Thanks
    Duct tape No good

Edit
    Heres the funny thing is the good boots run about 10 buck @ RockAuto.com and the Mickey Mouse ones go for 20 bucks only the only real diffrence is to good boot is kinda pain in the you know what to do were as the 20 dollar boot is super easy again i would recommend to get the correct boot
    Last edited by jimmy_o2; 06-04-2011 at 04:56 PM
    03 I4