The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Replaced all 4 struts and car still rides like shet

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16

Replaced all 4 struts and car still rides like shet

Last weekend I took my car to get all four struts installed (w/KYB Excel) plus alignment, and to be honest, the car rides just as bad as it was before replacement. I believe the struts had never been changed, so at 170,000 miles, they were long due for a new set.

It's kind of hard to explain how the car feels but these are some of the symptoms:

- Shocks feel stiff and steering feels loose.
    - When going over bumps, I still hear a lot of rattling.
    - Going over small potholes is usually acompanied by a thump. (Similar to the thump you hear after hitting a bump and the a car is lowered and on low profile tires, although I'm riding stock).
    - The rides still feels wobbly (sic).
    - Tires are stock (Fronts are almost new and rears are past 50%).
    - Brakes were serviced 2 months ago.

In conclusion, I do not feel a major difference other than slightly better tire grip after getting my struts replaced and I'm wondering if it had anything to do with the shocks themselves or were there other parts that may need replacement as well besides JUST the shocks?

Thanks for any help on this.

davila825
    try replacing some of the suspension bushing. like the control arm, front and back sway bar bushing. replacing the endlinks might also help. hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by davila825 View Post
    try replacing some of the suspension bushing. like the control arm, front and back sway bar bushing. replacing the endlinks might also help. hope this helps
    Yeah. I may have to give that a try. But how much will those parts be?

My guess would also be control arm bushings.

Or your suspension was not installed correctly

You are here entirely tooo much!! Corey2kG's Avatar
    Sway bar links n bushings n control arms. n maybe your inner outter tie rods. Thats what I did

FreakyDeaky

Quote Originally Posted by sponcar View Post
    Always remember "do you, not them" cuz thats what make you different than others :)
    2kG 6g72/74 5 speed

Did you replace the strut mounts when you had the struts installed?

Well, it turns out that the the two rear struts were blown in less than a week. Also, the rear sway bar end links were bad, so those were replaced. The front sway bar bushings were loose and were also replaced and last, the passenger side control arm was bad so I also had to get that fixed.

The car finally rides smooth, no more clunking sound and its not wobbling anymore. I'm glad I took the car in since I was not able to know the rear shocks were blown just by visually inspecting them.

How were they able to tell that the rears were blown after just a week without any visual signs?

Quote Originally Posted by JesterX View Post
    How were they able to tell that the rears were blown after just a week without any visual signs?
    I meant "I" couldnt tell visually they were blown but they did. So after further and more detailed inspection, I saw the shocks soaked in oil.

Oh gotcha. Glad you got it fixed

peterrabit76

Galant Evo

i had my shocks change on all fours, my 2004 galant, rides and feels firm, but i ned to get new coil springs, if anyone knows a good site i can order from, the ky's are the best even though i order from the factory and waited 2 weeks for my fronts and another 2 weeks for my rears

Quote Originally Posted by littlejuanito View Post
    - Going over small potholes is usually acompanied by a thump. (Similar to the thump you hear after hitting a bump and the a car is lowered and on low profile tires, although I'm riding stock).
    I'm guessing you didn't either transfered the old bump stops or didn't replaced it with new ones ones did you?

Quote Originally Posted by G-spot View Post
    I'm guessing you didn't either transfered the old bump stops or didn't replaced it with new ones ones did you?
    Honestly I don't know, but I'm guessing the old ones might have been transfered.

davila825
    you can also cut the original bump stops the same amount of how much the car is lowered

How much did parts and labor cost you separately? I am going through the same process and would like to have an idea about possible cost.

Thanks.

Changed mine yesterday, all 4 KYB, also changed the front shock mounts, rear links, front arms (not sure about the part name though). Labor and parts cost me $900, I am in CA. Also changed the 4 tires to Yoko Avid Touring S and the car runs very smooth and huge difference in ride comfort and noise.