The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: inspection?

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19

inspection?

Alright I have a question if I have a small exhaust leak near the last cat...will I still pass inspection? Or get a cel? I live in new York.

if u have a CEL light on, u wont pass,if not and you go to take it, most places overlook the leak and will pass you, try a small garage vs a major auto place

Well I know with a cel I won't pass but would a small leak give one off? And how do some cars run catless exhaust without getting cel and pass inspection?

Cause your ecu doesn't know about anything past the O2 sensors.

So. Could smash a hole in my cat...and I wouldn't get a code?....not saying I would lol

no, if ur cat itself goes bad it can throw a code, but anything past that, ur fine

Sorry for being dense..I just want to be certain I'm sure im annoying someone lol....so if its before the last cat but after the second ill be fine?

On OBDII cars not much is checked. If they plug in and you have no codes, they check the safety items and pass you.

Ok so I have a question again my dad claims that the exhaust pipe.between the second and third is cut in half we don't know how and my dad isn't telling Me but would there be a cel and pass inspection?

cut how? pics? not sure what u mean by 2nd and third...if ur talking about the manifold, then that shouldnt be a problem as long as their is no leaks

2nd and third cat although I was talking my mechanic he said there's only two but its cut as if some one took a saw and cut half way through its after the middle cat and right before the pipe that looks like a cat that leads into the axel section

Quote Originally Posted by NewGalantKid View Post
    2nd and third cat although I was talking my mechanic he said there's only two but its cut as if some one took a saw and cut half way through its after the middle cat and right before the pipe that looks like a cat that leads into the axel section
    Get some exhaust tape from the store and tape up the hole.

It's probably not going to throw a code if it hasn't already but could fail if they do a visual inspection.

Sounds like someone tried to steal your cat. Some places will do a visual inspection of exhaust systems and if they see it then you won't pass.

whats a cat?... im guessing ure not taking about the animal :D
    2001 Galant 2.4 USDM
    Old ones
    2X BMW E34 Blaaackkkk
    Isuzu Trooper mountain spec

Quote Originally Posted by pernir View Post
    whats a cat?... Im guessing ure not taking about the animal :d
    LoL!

catalytic converter

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    as long as your service engine light isnt on you will 99% be fine. as said previously in ny all they really do is plug the car in and if no codes you pass. most shops especially smaller shops dont give a rats ass if anything else is wrong as long as the computer says the car is good in ny. they arent really getting payed enough to take the time. larger chain type stores are regulated a bit more and may check however so i wouldnt advise one of them if you have a noticable problem

( if your lights not on theres no codes being thrown, unless the bulb is disconnected in the first place)

for those who arent aware, ny has inspections by private shops which connect via the internet to the dmv. they are not state inspection places nor are they really regulated by the state unlike most of the country other then paying thier fees for being able to provide inspections

Agree with a few post. take it to one of the smaller shops around the neighborhoods specially the bronx. They will plug and read for codes and thats pretty much it. they will pass you

Quote Originally Posted by NewGalantKid View Post
    So. Could smash a hole in my cat...and I wouldn't get a code?....not saying I would lol
    weld the hole shut, end of story, the exhaust (or muffler) tape lasts only so long