The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Automatic transmission possibly shot?

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Automatic transmission possibly shot?

Hey guys, this just happened where my transmission was going crazy from 2nd to 1st going back and forth and now it won't go into any gear. We smelled the trans fluid, it was full but smelled burnt.

Is it already too late to have it towed and immediatley have the transmission fluid flushed?

Please halp! I wasn't expecting a sudden breakdown, I expected steps for the transmission failure : /

Quick info, it's a 95 with 141k on the clock.
    Last edited by Davidline; 06-08-2011 at 11:45 AM

TGC Regular
    not worht it.. They blow without any warning the majority of the time..

edit* 5spd swap time? :)

If I could afford it, gladly would. Well it was a shame, it was quite reliable when it was alive. Now to be honest all I care about is how to do without this car, I am not even home, all the way up in ny 80 miles from where I actually live. But thanks for responding, it was just last minute hopes.

You could try flushing it, but if it is already suffering from mechanical issues, it would just be a band-aid at best. I'd try to find a used transmission, get it overhauled, and installed. And heck, you aren't far from a number of TGCNY/NJ members, they could possibly help you out getting it installed.

I know this is not a lot of help if you are stuck 80 miles from home but the single best solution is to do a 5 sped swap. All the auto trans die sooner or later. Flushing yours would probably only finish the job. On my 94ES I tried flushing the auto trans (200K on the clock) when it started acting up and within a couple of weeks it just shut down completely. I pulled it and had it rebuilt (cost $1000 for the rebuild in 2003) and stuck it back in. Now have an additional 65K miles on it but I just keep waiting for it to die again. On my 98 ES I checked into having its auto rebuilt and one shop wanted $2400 and that was if I pulled the trans and carried it in. The other wanted $2800. I elected to do a 5 speed swap on it which is now ongoing as I write this. Picking up the flywheel from machine shop today.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

i just had this same problem and im sorry to tell you this man but its shot.... i would suggest a 5 speed swap but im with you in the not being able to afford it right now being in 1200 in debit due to my galant having so many problems! im just swapping it out with a newer auto trans, look in junkyards or for ppl parting out galants by you....good luck man
    1994 galnt es SOHC

well i just had that issue the car wouldnt go in any gear. so i removed the overdrive unit and this is what happened

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]