The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Busted Fuel Door

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 29

Busted Fuel Door

The gas tank door on my wife's 8G is busted, it never closed properly and just kind of flaps around. It looks like there's a spring in there that doesn't spring anymore.

Is this all one unit, meaning do I have to replace the whole door or can I just replace the spring piece? Where can I get one?

Dealer bro. It comes as a kit i believe.

Triple Diamond Motors East Cost
    02 2.5L Fully Built Galant 5 speed
    SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

I bought mine on ebay, and you can buy the spring separate on ebay too, but probably you'll need the door since it always breaks.
    http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=gal....c0.m270.l1313

Everything for $29+s&h:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-...#ht_4254wt_854
    Last edited by OMEGA PHX; 06-10-2011 at 01:13 PM

4g64T 5spd

Glue a magnet to it. Mine dont flap around any more. Just needs paint.
    Last edited by oakrdrs187; 06-10-2011 at 01:42 PM

i been looking for this kit for awhile on ebay, must have typed in the wrong search title.. thank for the links,

ill just put that on hold just like everything else i need to get on ebay......

The magnet idea is a good one, but I went out and had a look at the door and it's actually broken.

The arrow shows the area on mine that's broken (borrowed your picture oakrdrs187 to highlight it), it kind of wraps around the spring but mine broke so it can't hold the spring. Looks like I gotta replace the whole door.

Those eBay links look good, that's just what I need. Thanks!

^^^That would cause it hang. Its time to replace.

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikelbeck View Post
    The magnet idea is a good one, but I went out and had a look at the door and it's actually broken.

The arrow shows the area on mine that's broken (borrowed your picture oakrdrs187 to highlight it), it kind of wraps around the spring but mine broke so it can't hold the spring. Looks like I gotta replace the whole door.

Those eBay links look good, that's just what I need. Thanks!
    Mine actually broke in the same location as well. If you still have all the pieces of that hinge, a little krazy glue will hold it together for a little while, as long as you're gentle with it when you're opening it lol

Nah, I don't have the pieces. I ordered one of the complete kits off of eBay.

I have the same problem but what I did was use a hair rubber band and hooked on the little hook on the door then put around the gas tank top. It doesn't wobble or move around and the fix was free since I found the rubber band on da floor.

Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

The hanging gas door is a common problem with the g, when mine broke in the exact same spot I had the pieces and jb welded the sh*t out of it and it would break again, so I went to the junkyards and they told me they had some but were hanging as well and told me that if they had a good one they would sell it to me for $40, so I went straight to ebay and bought one, the new hinges were different so at some point they realized the design problem and fixed it, mine now looks exactly like oakrdrs which has reinforcement at the plastic hinges, and the one before looked weak.

4g64T 5spd

Ok, got the new fuel door. It has a spring with it but it's not attached. My door doesn't have this spring. Where does it go?

The one I bought looks the one in this ad:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-...#ht_4254wt_854

The piece I'm talking about is the very last picture.

It's kind of hard to explain, it goes attached to the hinge and door in such a way that it provides tension to the door, keeping it from flapping around. Both my G's have are missing the spring now so a member with a normal working door with the spring in it would have to snap a Pic for you to get an idea of how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    It's kind of hard to explain, it goes attached to the hinge and door in such a way that it provides tension to the door, keeping it from flapping around. Both my G's have are missing the spring now so a member with a normal working door with the spring in it would have to snap a Pic for you to get an idea of how it goes.
    Yeah, a pic would be really helpful.

Experienced TGC Member glantv699's Avatar
    The fuel door assembly is probably one of the poorest body part designs on the 8G with regard to durability. I drove around for months without a cover....

> TGCPA - SOUTHEAST
    > 2010 Evolution X SE #183 of 340 (1 of 54 in Octane Blue)
    > 1999 ES V6 (Sold 2/2011)

*sigh* mine broke again lol

This is crazy, I've had my 8G for almost seven years as a daily driver, and I've never had a problem with my gas door. I'd go snap a pic, but central Maryland been having serious storms the past couple hours and I'm the only adult here with these babies, so I can't leave them.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    This is crazy, I've had my 8G for almost seven years as a daily driver, and I've never had a problem with my gas door. I'd go snap a pic, but central Maryland been having serious storms the past couple hours and I'm the only adult here with these babies, so I can't leave them.
    Can you get a pic in the next day or two? I still gotta get the door painted to match to body so I'm not in a big rush.

Quote Originally Posted by mikelbeck View Post
    Can you get a pic in the next day or two? I still gotta get the door painted to match to body so I'm not in a big rush.
    First thing in the morning, dude!

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    My Galant has been with either my Mom or me ever since 1999, so this is actually a 13 year old car (made in Aug 1998). Doesn't surprise me that the plastic is finally getting weak lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast