The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: axle nut wont come off

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

axle nut wont come off

so im dropping my transmission and i need to get the axle nuts off. but i cant get them off, i tried and i had my neighbor thats really strong try and he ended up bending the breaker bar and lifting the front of the car up, i tried using an impact hammer and it didnt work and i tried spraying it with stuff to unrust it and unseize it but nothing worked....any ideas??
    1994 galnt es SOHC

Did you try heating it up?

no im trying that next but i gotta get all the spray off first cuz its kinda highly flammable and i dont think that would be a good mix. Would heating it up help??
    1994 galnt es SOHC

davila825
    heating it up should help

Quote Originally Posted by madbmxer963 View Post
    no im trying that next but i gotta get all the spray off first cuz its kinda highly flammable and i dont think that would be a good mix. Would heating it up help??
    yes heating it up will help it makes the metal expand and contract,heat it until it is orange and break it loose.

okay ill make sure i try that tomorrow cuz i need to get it off and i cant afford to get it done through a shop. Ill let ya know how it all went.
    1994 galnt es SOHC

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    worst case scenario you can take the caliper off but leave the line connected then unbolt the knuckle or even the whole shock so you can have enough play and then seperate the axle from the tranny and it will still be in the hub. or go buy a new axle now as i have a feeling that is siezed in there like mine was.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

use a big pipe instead of a breaker bar, more leverage :)

would i have to buy a new axle if it is seized or it there any way to unseize it? and im going to put a pipe on the breaker bar for the leverage
    1994 galnt es SOHC

im trying to diconnect it so i can drop the trans so aslong as i get it outta the trans im good
    1994 galnt es SOHC

Borrow or rent an air compressor and an impact wrench and socket. I think the nut is either 32mm or 36mm. It is amazing what an impact wrench will undo.
    Last edited by eksz; 06-17-2011 at 09:53 PM
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

i accutaly have a compressor and an impact wrench and it couldnt get it off but i heated it and tuged n pulled on it for as couple hours n finally got em off...
    1994 galnt es SOHC