The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oahe Dam, SD

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Oahe Dam, SD

This is something I have never seen before, nor has anybody else since this dam was built in the mid 50's. The Missouri River is collecting so much snow melt and rain from Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota and South Dakota, that they had to open ALL six, 20 foot diameter gates, to get the dam ready for 2 up river dam releases, in Montana. Water flowing out of this gates is 540,000,000 cubic feet an hr, and they suspect this is going to last well into August. I have only seen one gate opened at 6 feet, so this was something else. You can walk above the gates, and the whole thing was vibrating like nothing else. We drove 2.5 hrs to see this lol. Here is some pics.

And the last one is the spill way, its about 18 inches from the top, about to spill over haha...

Its flooding all of the low lying areas of the state capital, and usually the train bridge is about 25 above the water, not anymore, the have about 8 feet till the tracks get wet. Just thought I'd share

Last edited by Galantman03; 06-12-2011 at 03:01 PM

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

Awesome pics, Gman, I'd love to see that in person. The civil engineering of it interests me.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Thanks man, I really didn't want to leave... Give me a beer, and a chair, I could have been out there all day long lol

I should really go and see this. Looks epic!!!

The key to Immortality is first living a life worth remembering.

sweet! Apparently the dam in yankton, sd is doing the same thing from what I'm hearing from old friends when I lived out that way. It's a busy river this year.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

Quote Originally Posted by GalantDreamer3455 View Post
    I should really go and see this. Looks epic!!!
    You gotta... it made me feel weak lol
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Rod View Post
    sweet! Apparently the dam in yankton, sd is doing the same thing from what I'm hearing from old friends when I lived out that way. It's a busy river this year.
    ^yeah pretty much anything that has the missouri river flow into it, is getting screwed lol..... its crazy how much water is everywhere this year. and last night I watch a show on TWC and I guess the mountains in salt lake area, and the ski resorts will be open till mid july... lol I guess there is about 70 inches of water up in the mountains... and its only going to have about 4 to 6 weeks to melt, compared to the 12 weeks it usually gets... more flooding...

JOY!!!! Missouri is going to be underwater. LOL

The key to Immortality is first living a life worth remembering.