The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: alternator problem?

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16

alternator problem?

So my car died two weeks ago and it was the alternator...my mechanic changed the alternator battery and my negative cable and the end of it battery connector... two days ago my car died again I'm pretty sure its the alternator again because same symptoms my electronics starting shutting off and my engine died....and I jumped my battery and then if died again.....what could cause the alternator to die again

im thinking it may be a bad ground

If I fix the ground will the alternator work or is shot?

I think it would work. If you do it to many times it might short it out but im not sure so dont qoute me. Do you have a system hooked up?

What do you mean system hooked up?...my mechanic replaced the alternator 2 weeks ago and it was running fine and now its dead I guess

do you have an amp hooked up to your battery?

Oh no my car is bone stock. With an exception of a aiwa radio but that's it. Stock speakers and etc...and I looked at the alternator the two bolts on the side are for the positive battery terminal and the ground? It looks like a bolt inside of the alternator with a nut on it?

Oh and what are the two wires leaving the positive cable?

It might be that they gave you a bad alternator or bad battery. I had the same issue recently and auto zone sold me a crappy battery. So check that out and if not then you mave have an electrical issue

Well wouldn't the alternator charge the battery?

Not if its a faulty battery

Alright and where is the ground wire attached in the alternator?

i dont think there is one. as in bad ground i meant bad ground wire from an amp in your car but you said you dont have one. Cant find my haynes manuel to tell you more info

Ahhh ok lol...Idk this is missing me off...I want my car fixed this sucks...my mechanic.should fix my alternator if its busted again

if you can get it to autozone or advanced auto get them to test the battery, alternator and starter for free.

Too much of a hassle lol cause when.I jump it goes about 4-5miles and my autozone is about 10-12 miles away lol