The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: loosing coolant slowly

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

loosing coolant slowly

I have an 01 ES 4 cylinder, 120K miles. 8 months ago, I replaced the following:
    radiator
    upper and lower hose
    radiator cap
    thermostat
    coolant (of course)

lately i have noticed that the temp gauge needle is a little higher than normal, maybe 2mm higher than the middle, but not to the level that it will overheat. I checked the coolant and it was in the low level and I filled it back to the full level. I don't see any leaks. I have done this 2x since i replaced my radiator. I never refilled my coolant reserve in 9 years of ownership.

1. My neighbor told me that in some cars (european cars) you need to bleed the radiator. is this the case for the 8g? if yes, how do we do that?

2. The original radiator cap has a pressure rating of 1.1, the OEM replacement I got from the Mitsu dealer only had 0.9, would this cause the decrease in coolant?

3. any suggestions, i don't want to keep on refilling the coolant...
    Last edited by FrozenMBA; 06-13-2011 at 05:55 PM

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    For the "bleeding" of the coolant system, refer to Isaurio's post recently in another thread (not specifically related to the radiator).

Quote Originally Posted by Isaurio View Post
    First is first. Flush all the engine coolant out since the engine hold a lot of dirt in the coolant. Buy some radiator flush liquid on autozone or pepboys. Turn off the car and fill the radiator with water and the liquid. Let it run for 15 min on idle so it could get to operating temp. Turn on the heat on high for 10 min. Turn off the car and let it cool off. Drain all the fluid out and repeat it again. Also drain out the one on the overfill tank. After you done fill out the radiator first with coolant all the way to the top. Turn on the car; radiator cap off, fill as it will go down. When it overfills close out the cap and fill the overflow thank to where it says full. Let it cool off and double check the radiator fluid levels.
    quoted above just in case the link breaks when the switch back to .net occurs.

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/show...postcount=1930

is there anything about "bleeding" out the air in the cooling system?

Quote Originally Posted by beam514 View Post
    For the "bleeding" of the coolant system, refer to Isaurio's post recently in another thread (not specifically related to the radiator).

quoted above just in case the link breaks when the switch back to .net occurs.

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/show...postcount=1930
    This is the method, can't say it any better myself, but here goes...LOL

In this case all you really need to do is when your car is cold uncap the radiator, start your car and turn on your heater through the top vents or defoggers to maximum level to allow the coolant to travel through the heater core and push out air in there and wait for about 10-15 mins for your thermostat to open up and allow a few cycles, you may need to add coolant so keep some ready. Watch the filler for when it overflows that's when the air is out and your done. Cap it go drive, let the pressure build and go for a drive watch your needle at all times.

^ defoggers is electrical for the rear window and side mirrors. Don't use coolant. Your method is only good after he do a coolant flush from the engine.

Triple Diamond Motors East Cost
    02 2.5L Fully Built Galant 5 speed
    SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

^^ Good one meant to write defroster...

Or your head or intake gaskets are leaking...

i'll try the bleeding on the weekend.

the gasket leak makes sense because I can't see any leaks, so it may be internal.

if my gaskets are leaking would this cause a noise in my engine. Lately I have been hearing a noise (sounds like noisy valve lifters) around 1500 RPM.

Check your front passenger side floor if its wet and smells like coolant you have a heater core leak.

TURBO= in the making.......

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenMBA View Post
    i'll try the bleeding on the weekend.

the gasket leak makes sense because I can't see any leaks, so it may be internal.

if my gaskets are leaking would this cause a noise in my engine. Lately I have been hearing a noise (sounds like noisy valve lifters) around 1500 RPM.
    Check your oil and radiator see if it's suspect.

passenger side carpet is dry, don't smell any coolant.

did the bleeding, hope it works. i will know if that worked in a couple of months. it takes that long to see my coolant level drop. anyone has thoughts about the engine noise?