The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Rear Tires...

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Rear Tires...

For some reason they are wearing down extremely fast. I bought four brand new tires a little over 7 months ago. The front one's look really good but the back one are bare. even on the side's. Any idea as to what maybe causing it?

Thanks.
    "A smart man can learn more from the questions asked of him than the questioner does from his answers.'

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    alignment

^ah yeah lol, you probably have some toe which is causing alot of wear

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

I did alignment and everything when I got the new tires and toes? I'm lost, what is that.
    "A smart man can learn more from the questions asked of him than the questioner does from his answers.'

hmm lets see if I can explain this right... ahHA! ok you know what pigeon toed is right? where your feet kinda rotate in towards the big toes? Basically your tires are doing that on the rear, so they are rotating BUT at the same time they are being drugged across the pavement.. Hope that helps lol

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

http://www.ozebiz.com.au/racetech/theory/align.html

UNDERSTANDING TOE

When a pair of wheels is set so that their leading edges are pointed slightly towards each other, the wheel pair is said to have toe-in. If the leading edges point away from each other, the pair is said to have toe-out. The amount of toe can be expressed in degrees as the angle to which the wheels are out of parallel, or more commonly, as the difference between the track widths as measured at the leading and trailing edges of the tires or wheels. Toe settings affect three major areas of performance: tire wear, straight-line stability and corner entry handling characteristics.

For minimum tire wear and power loss, the wheels on a given axle of a car should point directly ahead when the car is running in a straight line. Excessive toe-in or toe-out causes the tires to scrub, since they are always turned relative to the direction of travel. Too much toe-in causes accelerated wear at the outboard edges of the tires, while too much toe-out causes wear at the inboard edges.

Sounds like that's my problem. How do I fix it?

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tragic View Post
    Sounds like that's my problem. How do I fix it?

Thanks again.
    go get your alignment checked.