The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: axle removal

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

axle removal

okay so i finally got the axle nut off......(after 4 days) so now im having trouble getting the axles out of the transmission, does anyone have any idea do this or any tips how to do this??
    1994 galnt es SOHC

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    take a screw driver or pry bar and put it in between the axle and the tranny and hit it with a hammer until you see it start to come out of the tranny.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

they just pull out i dont have to undo anything? and do i have to do this from the top of the car or the bottom??
    1994 galnt es SOHC

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    i figured you just couldnt get it out of the tranny. are you just trying to replace the axles?

you have to unbolt the wishbone that holds the shock assembly to the lower control arm and seperate the upper balljoint then you should have enough room to push the axle through the hub then seperate it from the tranny
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Quote Originally Posted by Galanttuner10 View Post
    i figured you just couldnt get it out of the tranny. are you just trying to replace the axles?

you have to unbolt the wishbone that holds the shock assembly to the lower control arm and seperate the upper balljoint then you should have enough room to push the axle through the hub then seperate it from the tranny
    he is trying to get them out to do something with the transmission

Sometimes axles can be very stuck and a special tool is needed to really hammer it out and hit it where you need it. See if an auto parts store near you has a loaner service that caries it. Looks like this...

I had an axle hang up on me and after a couple of days of trying everything I could think of, I took two flat bladed screw drivers and slide them (one on each side of the axle) in until they would not go in any more, I then tapped the ends of the screw drivers evenly to increase the prying pressure on the axle until it finally popped out. Once the axle is able to slide free of the trans grasp the thick part of the axle by the trans and slide it out. You don't want to just pul on the axle shaft as the CV joint can come apart.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

im trying to drop the transmission to put a new one in and being that its so expensive to do it in a shop im doing it myslef and it hasent been easy cuz nothing is easy with my car as im finding out. But the people on here have helped alot and i appreciate it very much.
    1994 galnt es SOHC