The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Can the A/C fan under the hood slow down?

Showing results 1 to 3 of 3

Can the A/C fan under the hood slow down?

I had may AC serviced last year, so I'm assuming the freon is good.

This summer, it doesn't seem to blow too cold when driving in town but....if I get out in the interstate is seems to cool off more.

I thought maybe it had something to do with the amount of air going past the AC radiator (don't laugh :) ).

I looked under the hood and the fans were on but, they didn't seem as loud as I remember them....like maybe the motors were slowing down, blowing less air......and maybe that's why the air doesn't get cool enough when driving stop and go.....but get on the interstate anfd more air makes the AC cooler.....make sense?

Thanks TGC . . . .

I believe the fans use pulse-width modulation (PWM) to change the spped of the fans, so when you don't need as much airflow, like when it's just sitting there idling, they move slower, but if you were to be under the hood as you pull off, you'd see it speed up, y'know? So yeah, the ram-air effect of you driving at speed gets the A/C cooler, and as you slow down, that effect is minimized. perhaps if you're noticing low A/C performance it should get the refrigerant checked and possibly serviced and refilled. Initially my air isn't the coldest, but as I drive a little while it picks up and once its nice and cold, it stays cold no matter what kind of driving I do. Hope this helps!

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

^^^Learn something new everyday.