The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Need some Advice

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Need some Advice

Okay, so I have a 97 ES with the 2.4L. I've determined that my motor is blown. Now since I've already replaced the transmission I've decided to swap the motor. I've located one at a junkyard with 52K miles on it. I was just wondering what kind of things to look out for and what I can expect with this. I'm not all that mechanically inclined and I'm paying a friend to help me out, but he is by no means an expert on Mitsubishis. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    What made you determine that your current motor is blown?

The new motor that you are looking to get sounds like it should be in good shape purely based on the milage it has but doesn't mean its a good motor.

If you can hook a battery up to it and get the motor to crank a few times to pressure test on all the cylinders that would be a good thing to determine if the motor is indeed a good motor w/o a blown headgasket or bad piston rings or valve seals. If it passes on the pressure test..it should be a good motor, but doesn't gurantee it is. If the motor can run for a few minutes to make sure no odd noises are coming from it. Its just a risk getting a salvage yard motor.

If the motor doesn't have signs of heavy oil leaks thats good too.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Well the engine made lots of racket and then it wouldn't start, so my friend put a ratchet on it and turned over the crank. When he did that the car started, but there is a lot of racket coming from the lower part of the motor, he said it sounds like I blew a bearing.

So after talking with my friend who was going to do the work a little more it sounds like he wants to charge us an arm and a leg and he wants us to help him. He's not even a certified mechanic. That being said I'm thinking I"m going to try and sell my car. My post count isn't high enough to post in the for sale thread, but I thought I would give you guys the option of taking the car from me if I do decide to sell the car.

post 8 more times then u can post a thread lol

Is by Vermont man that be a drive ^lol.... How much is the engine Ur buying? And u may not know if that ones bad..... Take the head off and oil pan check the pistons and crank and see what going on.... Ur know once u take ur oil pan off the level of damage Ur looking at... While u donthat take ur head n to the shop make sure valves are okay.. If it's bearings replace pistons and rods and bearings see how bad crank isnif it's bad replace it be alot cheaper then taking a gamble on a junkyard engine and a over price friend .....

Well its not the motor cost that was the problem. My friend wanted to charge us an arm and a leg for labor and its not even worth it to me. I put so much other work into the car I just don't know what's going to go wrong next.
    That being said, we decided to buy a running car with fewer miles and sell this one in the shape its in.