The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: i need info about my car?

Showing results 1 to 20 of 20

Icon5 i need info about my car?

hey. my car was imported to Iceland in 2004... its starting to look like it was fixed after a bad dent there is no claim of it being in an accident in Iceland so i was wondering if i could find out the us plates of the car could you guys check that out?

i have most of the papers from when it was imported but i cant seem to find the number plate numbers.. should i be able to call my local dmv and have them check it out?
    2001 Galant 2.4 USDM
    Old ones
    2X BMW E34 Blaaackkkk
    Isuzu Trooper mountain spec

can you tell the location of this suspected bad dent?

in theory, yes you should be able to look up the vehical history in the US by running the VIN number, but probably not through your local DMV, you might have contact an agency or whatever in the US for info

if by 'number plate numbers', you mean the VIN number is missing, contact the DMV immediatly, if you mean the license plate numbers, if you registered the car (and I'm going out on a limb here as I don't know the registration laws in Iceland or the procces of registration over there) then got different plates, you should be fine, they might be able to look up the old plates

the vin numbers are fine. the license plate is what i mean.. i dont realy want to call the us from here and be rederected everywhere to get this info. here in iceland if i go to a certain site it gives me the incedent histroy of the car and all other info everything apart from what heppend in the us and what license plate it was on there... do u guys have that kind of site there.?
    2001 Galant 2.4 USDM
    Old ones
    2X BMW E34 Blaaackkkk

all u need is the vin and run a US carfax on it...the plates wont give u any information, nor would u find the plate numbers

BTW the suspecdent dent is behind the fuel door.. looks do me like the car was welded.. and in the trunk if i take the covers or what ever u call it on that side i can put my hand and touch the bumber.. in theroy there is a huge hole and once i drooped a screw there and i went searching and i found it on the ground under the car... im told that is not normal:P
    2001 Galant 2.4 USDM
    Old ones
    2X BMW E34 Blaaackkkk

Quote Originally Posted by QnzMostWanted View Post
    all u need is the vin and run a US carfax on it...the plates wont give u any information
    Beat me to it, www.carfax.com you may have to pay something.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Quote Originally Posted by QnzMostWanted View Post
    all u need is the vin and run a US carfax on it...the plates wont give u any information
    wtf is a carfax? plz remember im not from the us. and dont know how this stuf works there
    2001 Galant 2.4 USDM
    Old ones
    2X BMW E34 Blaaackkkk

Carfax is a database of info about specific cars, it references the VIN of a car to any insurance claims, salvage titles, purchases, etc., things like that to give you the history of the car. www.carfax.com

-Greg

Quote Originally Posted by pernir View Post
    wtf is a carfax? plz remember im not from the us. and dont know how this stuf works there
    I haven't before either and I live in the US, so don't feel left out
    you run the VIN, and it gives you the history (that was reported) of the car, like accidents, new owners and such, the exact way you use it, I have no idea but odds are, there is a tutorial in the website

just tryed carfax... found out i need to pay for this information is there no way to get this without paying?
    btw this is my vin 4A3AA46G01E146817
    2001 Galant 2.4 USDM
    Old ones
    2X BMW E34 Blaaackkkk

Quote Originally Posted by foxbrand View Post
    .... it gives you the history (that was reported) of the car, like accidents, new owners and such, .....
    Very important distinction, if it happened and wasn't reported, chances are it's no info to be found about it.

-Greg

no free site for this information.. if there is any.like wetamup2k3g said.. i would also be happy to know the us license plate of my car.. just for the fun of it..

BTW it says on -- http://www.decodethis.com/Default.as...AA46G01E146817 -- that i have overdrive.? last car i had, had overdrive.. there was a button for that.? any info on that also would be greatly appreciated
    2001 Galant 2.4 USDM
    Old ones
    2X BMW E34 Blaaackkkk

btw it says it find 10 records for my car.. does that mean. there are 10 accident reports?
    2001 Galant 2.4 USDM
    Old ones
    2X BMW E34 Blaaackkkk

probably not, maybe a few accidents, changes in owners, changes in insurance which combined is a total of 10

BTW the suspected dent is behind the fuel door.. looks do me like the car was welded.. and in the trunk if i take the covers or what ever u call it on that side i can put my hand and touch the bumper.. in theory there is a huge hole and once i drooped a screw there and i went searching and i found it on the ground under the car... im told that is not normal:P
    Usually when a Galant is rear ended whether the damage is severe or minimal but still requires to have a new piece welded in near the fuel door is where they cut. Both my G's are that way, the body shop guy told me it's better to replace that entire section of the car as a whole than just a small piece. He's said for structural reasons.

btw it says it find 10 records for my car.. does that mean. there are 10 accident reports?
    No, a record could be anything. It can even be taking the car in for service at dealer or shop that releases that information to the carfax database. Changes of ownership also count as a record and having the car smogged count as a record, pretty much any place that runs your Vin along with mileage will release a record.
    Example: Smog Center, they get your Vin and mileage before testing the car. Police reports where your vehicle was involved in a violation such as Vandalism or hit and run, especially if a person or persons were injured/killed, Not too many people know that.
    I found this out when some idiot was speeding and clipping one of our "G's" as my GF tried to pull into the road, the cop saw him speeding in a 35, swerving as he ripped off our front plate, Scratching the shit out of his LEXUS. We didn't report anything since that's all it was. But I ran a carfax on her VIN when I had a leftover one from looking for a used car and the police report was on there.

No release of service information: Getting new tires, they get your plate and mileage. Oil change at a "Quicky" LUBE, plate and mileage.
    Last edited by oakrdrs187; 06-23-2011 at 04:58 PM

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    Usually when a Galant is rear ended whether the damage is severe or minimal but still requires to have a new piece welded in near the fuel door is where they cut. Both my G's are that way, the body shop guy told me it's better to replace that entire section of the car as a whole than just a small piece. He's said for structural reasons.
    okey thanks for that information. but why the hole? also stuf i keep in my trunk gets verry moldy becoz of the humidity in there cozd by this hole i presume
    2001 Galant 2.4 USDM
    Old ones
    2X BMW E34 Blaaackkkk

no free site for this information.. if there is any.like wetamup2k3g said.. i would also be happy to know the us license plate of my car.. just for the fun of it..

BTW it says on -- http://www.decodethis.com/Default.as...AA46G01E146817 -- that i have overdrive.? last car i had, had overdrive.. there was a button for that.? any info on that also would be greatly appreciated
    (USDM) 8G's don't have an overdrive button, to turn OD off one would have to shift into D3 on the shifter, being in D4/Regular Drive is like an automatic overdrive setting. Myself, I have never found any reason not to be in D4, not even in snow and whatnot, if I take it easy, it does just fine.

-Greg

by d4 u mean regule D (drive).. coz i only have
    P
    R
    N
    D
    3 (d3)
    2 (d2)
    L (low drive i presume)
    Last edited by Palmz; 06-23-2011 at 05:00 PM
    2001 Galant 2.4 USDM
    Old ones
    2X BMW E34 Blaaackkkk

by d4 u mean regule D (drive).. coz i only have
    P
    R
    N
    D
    3 (d3)
    2 (d2)
    L (low drive i presume)
    Yep, couldn't remember offhand what letters the shifter had. D4 is regular drive, sorry for the slip-up!

-Greg

The carfax report on my jeep even showed that the previous owner took it to the dealer for oil changes.