The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Question about replacing the CV halfshaft

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Question about replacing the CV halfshaft

Hey guys,

In the last 6 months (15,000 mi), I've gone through 3 NAPA auto parts brand passenger side remanufactured CV half shafts. Every time they give me a new one, a tear develops in the boot, causing the grease to leak out and destroying the joint. I hate NAPA now, and I really don't understand why they can't just sell me a decent quality part
    They're going to give me a free replacement half shaft, but here's my question:

Is there any way to take out the old half shaft without destroying the output shaft seal in the process? The only way I know to remove an old driveshaft in our cars is to stick a flathead screwdriver in between the transfer case and the driveshaft. This almost always tears the output shaft seal in the process. Since both NAPA and Advance Auto do not stock the seal, I have to order it from the dealer.

Any ideas on how to remove it without damaging that seal?
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

1997 Galant ES with '94-95 style front end and '97 style rear

Wasting ur money just buy boots and use ur stock axle .... Buying full axle is pointless unless ur center weight is fucked up ....

How do you replace the boot on the CV without completely dissembling it? I also figured that since I can already hear clicking around turns, that it's shot anyway.
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

1997 Galant ES with '94-95 style front end and '97 style rear

davila825
    are you replacing the axel because a defective axel or just a bad boot? if its a bad boot, just buy a replacement boot.

See if you can get them to warranty out the labor to replace it so many times. Advance does it.
    -Andrew

You could try Cardone/Duralast from Autozone. Personally I would have thought Napa is closer to OE parts therefore lasting longer. I've had the Autozone ones for a year now with no tears, my buddy got me 20% off and with that lifetime warranty I can't complain. Actually all of my warranties at Autozone really come in handy with the second G. All the parts are the same so I swap around.

Dude it is simple buy a boot and autozone and advance and oreillys warranty there boots... But a boot has instructions tell u how put boot on... Do one side at a time remember buy grease ^lol...... I have to replace my driverside axle my center wait is gone also the outer boot starting to rip....... So I'll have pics on my fb when I get money to spend on a boot...

Experienced TGC Member
    A screw driver isnt the best way to do it. I use a pry bar and it works better. As for replacing the boots, you will NEED snap ring pliers. My first time doing the boot job it was a ROYAL bitch to do it without the pliers. Other than that, its pretty simple.

I just exchange the whole thing...Fuck it.