The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Guide to Auto transmission failures

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Guide to Auto transmission failures

Ok so a few 7g owners suggested I post my knowledge of auto trans for the 1994-1998... Seeing on fb I have alot info of me and my transmission builds and breakdowns...... I have taken my transmission apart for every reason u can think of.... So here my knowledge any questions I can answer to the best of my abilities.

I'm going to address the car slipping and not shifting and also downshifting and unshifting randomly..

This is cause by burned up Clutchs and clutch plates or the pressure plates with in the clutch packets. As you know to get to the Clutchs transmission as come out. There are 4 different clutch packets. 3 sit inside the trans and one which i call the end clutch which is acceded from a panel on the outside of the transmission. First 2 packs has 4 metal disks and 3clutch disks. Presure plate for both are at the bottom of the packets east to remove they also have a o-ring. The 3rd has 5metal disks and 4clutch plates no pressure plate and the 4th has 5 metal disks and 4clutch plates and it's pressure plate sits behind all the Clutchs... (pic below shows u the Clutchs from right to left last clutch pack being the end clutch it also shows the pressure plates removed.)

Now here so info on the valve body for the cylinoids.

This things get clogged up when ever u burn Clutchs or something messes up. Important you clean this out every time... Most people won't touch this because they are very hard to handle because all the springs and parts from it.. But it's very easy if u take ur time.

The picture below is the valve body. Which is extremely dity. There 3parts holding it to gather one part is the price the cylinoids are siting on and other is shown in the middle.. The last price is on the back when u flip it over that's where u have ur filter.... Now when u take the bolts off u have to be carefully u don't lose the spring and little metal balls that sit under so after you remover the last bolt hold the part together flip it over then remover it so the Parts stay in the exact place they belong.. Take a pic so u won't for get. Repeat for the back piece .

Now this pic shows the back side taken apart and the clips and balls u need make sure don't fall out like they have on the pic

To clean out the parts u just removed get some carburetor cleaner and a air pump and clean them good and blow it out.....

I'm sorry if any words are misspelled. If you need any help post up and I'll try and help best I can also can message me on FB hope this helps guys who asked me to post.....

ummm, I know this is the wrong sub forum for me to ask this, but can overfilling the ATF by like a quarter quart kill a transmission?

Won't kill it just won't allow it to perform correcty... Have to much fluids but u won't know if u over filled it till u let the car run and after a few mins check it.... Our transmission when bone dry takes 6.3quarts.... Remember u gotta all the fluids to get in to the torque converter So u can have correct reading.....

Quote Originally Posted by foxbrand View Post
    ummm, I know this is the wrong sub forum for me to ask this, but can overfilling the ATF by like a quarter quart kill a transmission?
    I found that doing so will cause the transmission to upshift and downshift excessively, because the line pressure in the transmission is higher when it's overfilled. For example, you barely press on the gas to accelerate at 45mph, and it kicks down into a lower gear, when it could've reasonably stayed in the gear it was already in.
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

1997 Galant ES with '94-95 style front end and '97 style rear

that hasn't happen to me, the reason why I posted that was that I was just curious, and I have and 8g v6, that is why I said I know this is the wrong subforum

This may have been helpful before I went out and bought a transmission last year.

I'm sry ^lol I'm about to make a thread for ppl who never took transmission apart show how easy it is save u over 2k n labor ^lol....

Justin, thanks for the auto trans info. I have taken a bad 7g auto trans apart but that was just to see what was in there before tossing it. You're right, they do come apart pretty easily. I have a bad auto trans sitting on the shelf in my garage, and while I have never thought about rebuilding one, maybe I should give it a shot. Can you suggest a source for auto trans parts?
    Last edited by eksz; 07-14-2011 at 12:50 AM
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL