The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Swimmerboy2112's Build Thread

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 127

Swimmerboy2112's Build Thread

Well here goes nothing...

Hey guys, my name's Brian, i'm 20, i fix welders and plasma cutters for a living, and i've had vehicle experience with everything from a custom turbo'd Hyundai Tiburon GT to a 450whp Camaro Z28 to a restored 1986 Toyota 4Runner.

I had been daily driving my 1986 4Runner (with 275K on it) and decided i wanted something that gets better mileage. Near my mom's house I saw a 1999 Mitsubishi Galant in a guys driveway and decided i'd go find out what he was asking.

It had 262K on it, it's a 4cyl, and wasn't in the best of shape. We cut a deal and $1000 lighter, she was mine.

At first, to the joy of my girlfriend I vowed that i wasn't going to modify it in any way.

Unfortunately for her, last week i found TGC, that night I bought a set of 17" Kosei K1 wheels...

The mod bug had bit me once again...

So here are my plans, laid out in a linear fashion so you guys can see what i plan on doing/what I have done.

First things first, the list!

1.1 Appearance

-Paint (bright red)
    -JDM tail lights
    -JDM head lights
    -CF hood (painted to match body)
    -New grille
    -JDM front bumper
    -Some sort of lip (maybe)

1.2 Suspension

-Kosei K1 17x7.5 (got em)
    -Tein lowering springs
    -Anti-sway bars (are there any for the Galant?)
    -Strut bar(s)
    -Hankook Ventus V2 Concept tires 225/45-17

1.3 Performance

-Turbo and all that goes with it (wether that be a kit or a custom job)
    -Sonata 5spd swap
    -Megan Racing Drift Spec exhaust (or ebay equivalent, i heard its the same)

That's all I can think of (for now)! Stay tuned guys!
    Last edited by Swimmerboy2112; 06-27-2011 at 06:20 PM

Here is how the Galant sits now... sigh...

Here's a pic of the wheels

There are anti sway bars for the galant,there is addco and some others.I would use an eclipse transmission instead of the sonata.The sonata is still kind of an experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by galantlvr34 View Post
    There are anti sway bars for the galant,there is addco and some others.I would use an eclipse transmission instead of the sonata.The sonata is still kind of an experiment.
    Eclipse, hmm that will be even easier to find. I didn't know that the Sonata was still a project in the making. I need to do more homework.

Quote Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112 View Post
    Eclipse, hmm that will be even easier to find. I didn't know that the Sonata was still a project in the making. I need to do more homework.
    Do you have a 4 cylinder or a v6?I am not sure if anyone used it on a 4 cylinder but i only know of one guy on here who has it on a v6.

Do you have a 4 cylinder or a v6?I am not sure if anyone used it on a 4 cylinder but i only know of one guy on here who has it on a v6.
    Oops left that part out, that's pretty important lol it's the 4cyl

Oops left that part out, that's pretty important lol it's the 4cyl
    The 3g eclipse transmissions are a little easier to find.Did you decide if you are going to go with a 2g clutch set up or 3g?

The 3g eclipse transmissions are a little easier to find.Did you decide if you are going to go with a 2g clutch set up or 3g?
    To be honest i haven't looked into it that far yet. What are the benefits of using one over the other?

The 2g set up is lighter if you plan to use a stock flywheel,if you use this set up you will have to use a 2g manual starter.If you use the 3g the flywheel it is a little heavier but you would still need to change your starter to a 3g manual.So the lighter the flywheel the faster the engine will pick up.You could use a fidanza flywheel or act flywheel if you wanted to also.

The 2g set up is lighter if you plan to use a stock flywheel,if you use this set up you will have to use a 2g manual starter.If you use the 3g the flywheel it is a little heavier but you would still need to change your starter to a 3g manual.So the lighter the flywheel the faster the engine will pick up.You could use a fidanza flywheel or act flywheel if you wanted to also.
    Ah i see, i ran a Fidanza 9lb flywheel on my Tiburon, to be honest, i didn't like the way it felt, hard to shift smoothly at low RPM's. If it's going to be like that then i will go 3g, otherwise i'd go 2g.

yeah the fidanzas are really light that is why,the stock ones arent like that.The weight difference isnt much between the two,it is whatever you decide both will work.

yeah the fidanzas are really light that is why,the stock ones arent like that.The weight difference isnt much between the two,it is whatever you decide both will work.
    Alright, appreciate all the help.

Eclipse transmission is a straight swap and your best options . Im the only one running the sonata transmission and im done with experimenting.

Only sonata f5m42 swapped. N/A build in motion.

Quote Originally Posted by Exhaust power View Post
    Eclipse transmission is a straight swap and your best options . Im the only one running the sonata transmission and im done with experimenting.
    Appreciate the help man, would you mind giving me a hand with the trans swap? I've never done one before and it'd be nice to have someone who's done it before helping. I can throw some cash your way, no problem.

Appreciate the help man, would you mind giving me a hand with the trans swap? I've never done one before and it'd be nice to have someone who's done it before helping. I can throw some cash your way, no problem.
    No problem if we got all the right tools i can have that thing swap in less then 5 hours! lol probably going to the junk yard friday ill let you know if theres 5 speed parts to grab.

No problem if we got all the right tools i can have that thing swap in less then 5 hours! lol probably going to the junk yard friday ill let you know if theres 5 speed parts to grab.
    Wow that would be awesome! Let's plan to get this thing done ASAP!

Might as well check out joes you pull it Its like a couple minutes from you. Finding a transmission intact at harrys is hard people pull them on the same day the arrive. Ill pm you

Might as well check out joes you pull it Its like a couple minutes from you. Finding a transmission intact at harrys is hard people pull them on the same day the arrive. Ill pm you
    I was at Harry's yesterday there were a few second gen Eclipses there. I've been to Joe's once. I can get a trans from Hanas (they pull it for you) if worse comes to worse.

Thats cool i was going to go to harrys today but got lazy after changing my rotors etc lol
    Never heard of hannas but ive been to Deez and dnaples up in scranton
    two junk yards with a u-pull it and they pull it.

Thats cool i was going to go to harrys today but got lazy after changing my rotors etc lol
    Never heard of hannas but ive been to Deez and dnaples up in scranton
    two junk yards with a u-pull it and they pull it.
    Yeah either way theres no shortage of parts hopefully.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast