The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: transmission

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

transmission

okay so as most of you know im currently battling my transmission in a never ending fight lol i was told to take the trans pan off and check it for metal chips and pieces and also to check the inside of the trans for them and thats how i can determine if my trans is screwed or not. now when i looked at it there was no metal chips anywhere to be seen so what would this mean the problem could be?
    1994 galnt es SOHC

What exactly is the problem you're battling?

Generally with an auto it either works or doesn't. With the Galants when the trans starts to go it has a tendcy to stop working temporally in either the forward or the reverse gears and then moves on to a complete failure. Most folks will say to just do the 5-speed swap rather than replace/repair an auto trans. The auto trans don't hang in there over the real long run; I had them go out as early as 133K miles and have never had one go beyond 200K miles. I have had one auto rebuilt but because of the cost of rebuilding the auto on my most recent trans failure, I am doing a 5 speed swap on my 98 ES
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

No metal is good but doesn't mean Ur trans is.... Ur inside clutches are gone and maybe Ur slapstick maybe ripped to pieces which I just bought a bering which I paid 30 bucks for and I am lucky I had a extra body which I'm not even trying to think how much thy cost .........

This would cause Ur car feel like it's n neutral when u put it n drive.... This moves Ur low gear and reverse ......

Damnation those gears are stripped all to hell
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

ya im taking the trans out tomorrow or friday to take it apart to see how the inside looks.
    1994 galnt es SOHC

ya im taking the trans out tomorrow or friday to look at the inside of it and see how bad the inside really is..
    1994 galnt es SOHC

can anybody tell me what is needed to do the manual swap on the 97....im considering doing it

this is all the info i found on parts that u need for 1 5 speed swap.
    1) 5 speed trans from 94-98 galant. eclipse trans would not work(it might if you modified it but for plug and play please use galant tranny!)
    2) shifter assembly from a 2g or galant (from a 2g it will not matter if it is gst or gsx, as long as they are not the neon motor. (distinguish is the neon motor has the coil pack/distributor on top of the engine )
    3) clutch and brake pedal (again you can use from 2g or galant )
    4) clutch set (if you can trying to buy a galant spec one if you want stock or if you want to spend the money then go for 2g 4g63t eclipse aftermarket stuff, there are al ot of choices of clutch set you can get just do RESEARCH)
    5) Flywheel (i got it off a 2g eclipse GST WARNING: GSX flywheel will not work or anyother 420a neon motor flywheel.)
    6) Starter (get one brand new from an auto part store for a 7g. somebody trying to use auto one and it will work but it require some modification, for plug and play please use 7g m/t galant starter)
    7) Clutch master and slave cylinder ( recommend buy them brand new for m/t 7g)
    8) The long Clutch line (from master to slave, dont go cheap on them because you dont want them to be leaking i order one for 2g eclipse ss line was about $80)
    9) 3-4 quarts of GL5 Gear oil
    10) tranny perch (if you tell the dealer tranny perch or trans mount bracket they will not understand what you are saying. ask them to pull out a picture for M/T case. There are total of 3 bracket top, and both side. mine was 96 fed the top bracket and the rear which close to the firewall was needed, the front is very close but it will work.)
    11)m/t speed sensor. ( tried auto one and it does not work)
    12) top tranny mount (the one that has 5 studs go though and 5 nuts holding it.)
    13) Shifter cable ( get it off a 2g or 7g galant)
    14) Shifter cable bracket (the one on top of the tranny, you need this for shifting 7G)
    15) make sure you have all the nuts bolts and clips that you took off on the donor 2g or galant because you will need it!
    16) flywheel bolts (you can not use the auto bolts)
    1994 galnt es SOHC

Here are a couple of links to help you out:
    1. Peanotation's 5 spd swap tutorial: http://socallifestyle.com/tutorial/tutorial.html

2. Post discussing peanotation's 5 spd swap (has additional information from the tutorial): https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=13254

3. My post with additional suggestions for doing the 5 spd swap: https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=46970

As long as you have all the parts, a Chilton's or Haynes' manual for torque spec, these posts are about all you need to do the swap.
    jjj