The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Which headunit is compatible with stock speakers?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 21

Which headunit is compatible with stock speakers?

I have a Sony CDX-S2010 headunit, in the Galant, that is no longer working properly, and i want to replace it. As far as I know, the 4 speakers in the car are the stock speakers. Which headunits would be compatible with these speakers and have the proper wiring hook ups? I believe the speakers can handle up to 50W each. Thanks and God bless!
    - 2002 Sentra SE-R Spec V (stock)
    - 1999 Mitsubishi Galant V6 (auto)
    "In the past, God overlooked such ignorance, but now He commands all people everywhere to repent. For He has set a day when He will judge the world with justice by the Man [Jesus Christ] whom God appointed. He has given proof of this to all men by raising Him from the dead." Acts 17:30-31.

pretty much all the head units will be compatible, if you have the right conversion harness for your year... I have an alpine head unit, and the place I bought it from gave me the correct harness that plugs into the galant side, and then you just splice together the head units harness to the harness that you just bought.

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

Experienced TGC Member jimmy_o2's Avatar
    Going after market radio u need after market speakers, if u still stock speaker u will hear distortion at mid and high level volume.. Reason why after market head units run at 4 ohms and ur stocks speakers are suppose to run 8ohms(if i remember right or might be 14 ohms). So to answer your question yes you can run a after market head unit with stock speakers but expect to hear distortion.
    03 I4

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_o2 View Post
    Going after market radio u need after market speakers, if u still stock speaker u will hear distortion at mid and high level volume.. Reason why after market head units run at 4 ohms and ur stocks speakers are suppose to run 8ohms(if i remember right or might be 14 ohms). So to answer your question yes you can run a after market head unit with stock speakers but expect to hear distortion.
    We bought our Galant used and it came with the Sony headunit which is aftermarket.
    "In the past, God overlooked such ignorance, but now He commands all people everywhere to repent. For He has set a day when He will judge the world with justice by the Man [Jesus Christ] whom God appointed. He has given proof of this to all men by raising Him from the dead." Acts 17:30-31.

i don't get any distortion what so ever with my stock rear speakers

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

Im sorry but this is not accurate at all, for one stock non-premium speakers are 4ohm. Secondly distortion comes from a radio that is not tuned properly at high volumes, not because youre mixing stock and aftermatket. It is recommended you replace your stock speakers because of their power handling. An aftermarket headunit is pushing between 15-22 watts rms per channel wich most non-premium audio speakers can handle about 8-10 watts rms, not significant enough to blow right away but over time. Also just about every stock non-premium speaker is made of very cheap materials such as a paper cone and foam surrounds, materials that cant deliver bright highs, clear mids and punchy lows.
    On the other hand aftermarket speakers are made with an actual tweeter rubber surrounds, deeper cones and bigger magnets for higher power handling upto 100 watts rms. With this in mind go to crutchfield.com and check out their 4th of july specials for a new deck, with your order you will get a new harness to work with since its free and step by step instructions on how to do it yourself. Hope this helps, PM for any questions.

Aftermarket stereos do not require a speaker change. if the funds are low. i suggest keeping the bass set low , install a sub if you havnt already and boost the amp gain or your preamp sub out (if your new deck is equipped with that). Those factory speakers can only take so much abuse and the low frequencies will kill them quick.

Buy new speakers. Stock speakers suck anyway.

Experienced TGC Member fliegendaffe's Avatar
    not always. If the speakers are 8 ohms, they are generally running through an amp, thus the head unit doesn't have anything to do about the speakers besides providing a low level signal to the amp.

If funds are a problem, buy another sony head unit. You shouldn't need to buy a wiring harness as usually they rarely change the wiring harness over time. If you are not looking for deep and rich sounds, and just the basic music listening to drown out the rattling glove box, stock speakers will suffice.

If you stick with Sony, you will be able to install it yourself, it's really easy (plug and play)

Quote Originally Posted by tamim13 View Post
    If funds are a problem, buy another sony head unit. You shouldn't need to buy a wiring harness as usually they rarely change the wiring harness over time. If you are not looking for deep and rich sounds, and just the basic music listening to drown out the rattling glove box, stock speakers will suffice.

If you stick with Sony, you will be able to install it yourself, it's really easy (plug and play)
    He won't need a harness anyways since he said there is already an aftermarket in there. So he can do it himself either way.

Sent from my DROIDX

Yeah, that's true, sorry, meant it would be plug and play, no wiring/splicing needed.

Quote Originally Posted by tamim13 View Post
    Yeah, that's true, sorry, meant it would be plug and play, no wiring/splicing needed.
    Even then, I still wouldn't stick to a brand soley for the ease of installation. I would go with an Alpine or Pioneer over Sony any day...

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    Even then, I still wouldn't stick to a brand soley for the ease of installation. I would go with an Alpine or Pioneer over Sony any day...
    This! All the Sony stuff I ever installed in a car has been junk. Their home video/audio stuff is nice, but every headunit and set of speakers I've ever dealt with from Sony has had quality issues.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Sony....Booo!! :Thumb down:

I'm currently waiting on my pioneer 4000ub I got used online. Their current decks aren't 4V like their previous models were, and I wanted rear usb. I hate sticking shit on the faceplate, it can get knocked around and break. It should compiment my budget SQ system build. So far my plans include

Free 12" Cvr's in kicker ported box.
    Diamond Audio D3 600.1-Have
    Diamond Audio D3 500.4-Need
    Infinity kappa or reference (not sure yet) all around.
    ^^^ maybe Polk DB's
    and my Pio-4000UB-On it's way...
    Last edited by oakrdrs187; 07-07-2011 at 04:43 PM

Kenwood, pioneer, alpine ftw

Sent from my DROIDX

Pioneer all day, I went from a Pioneer DEH-P3600 to a DEH-3200ub, it doesn't have a lot of features, but it sounds good with the Pioneer 6 1/2's I have up front, but I'm too lazy to replace the now blown Sony 6 x 9's in the back. I have an Infinity Reference 12" sub in the back, only 300watts RMS, but it sounds good from inside the car lol.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

I used to rock the infinity 12's in a sealed box in my 3g, bass was so clean...

Thanks for the responses, but I just need a regular headunit with 50W per channel, nothing fancy or expensive.

All headunits are about 52x4. Usually only about 12-15 watts per channel.

Sent from my DROIDX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast