The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 5 spd Swap

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 26

5 spd Swap

Hello, im new to the site and im preparing to do a 5sp swap to my 01 galant v6. I have a complete 01 spyder v6 with manual trans as a donor. what would be the most trouble free way to do this swap? what sort of computer work will i need? jus, want to get all my ducks in a row before i start. thanks

sport

The easiest way to do this swap is search. There are tuts posted on what u will need n everything on this forum

yep, your new
    here's a link to a how to page
    https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=34842
    while I haven't done this swap myself, it isn't the most difficult thing ever, just follow the intructions, and if you have problems, post up and describe thme

Quote Originally Posted by foxbrand View Post
    yep, your new
    here's a link to a how to page
    https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=34842
    while I haven't done this swap myself, it isn't the most difficult thing ever, just follow the intructions, and if you have problems, post up and describe thme
    Again lol i was just getting ready to post that link.

thanks for the quick info. i did read that swap tutorial , great thread , but , i am swaping both engine and tranny from the eclipse to the galant, i dont want to dissasemble anything i dont have to. thanks again

Thats alot of work. GLWT!

Quote Originally Posted by G-code88 View Post
    Thats alot of work. GLWT!
    He has a bad motor so he wants to swap in the eclipse engine and transmission in the galant

U get more hp with the eclipse engine? I should of gotten my mechanic to do that last yr when i blew a head gasket. Instead I just another galant engine. But of course i didnt know then what i know now

There aren't many differences between the two. You're fine with the Galant engine

EDIT:

Just saw you have a 4g64. They're the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue8g View Post
    There aren't many differences between the two. You're fine with the Galant engine

EDIT:

Just saw you have a 4g64. They're the same.
    A 2001 eclipse is a 3g isnt it so it should just be a pretty straight forward swap as far as the wiring and everything right.

Quote Originally Posted by galantlvr34 View Post
    A 2001 eclipse is a 3g isnt it so it should just be a pretty straight forward swap as far as the wiring and everything right.
    I'd imagine so. But IDK for sure, never really looked into or cared about that sort of thing when I had my Galant

I'd imagine so. But IDK for sure, never really looked into or cared about that sort of thing when I had my Galant
    Yeah i am pretty sure it will just drop in,i think the eclipse engine is a 6g74 engine though but im not sure.

No. The Eclipse GT/GTS has the 6g72 (just as 8g's with V6 do)
    Eclipse RS/GS has the 4g64 (like 8g with I4)

No. The Eclipse GT/GTS has the 6g72 (just as 8g's with V6 do)
    Eclipse RS/GS has the 4g64 (like 8g with I4)
    Oh thats even better then so it should just drop right in, and he shouldnt have to worry about anything besides maybe the ecu.

yea, thats where my concern is the most. ecu and wiring

Quote Originally Posted by sportbiker View Post
    yea, thats where my concern is the most. ecu and wiring
    the wiring should be fine the ecu you will most likely have to use the eclipse one because you will have some check engine lights from doing the manual swap.Some guys on here buddy up the galant ecu and the eclipse ecu.

Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

I'll post this pic since I don't know why there always doubts on the wiring:

And on the clutch pedal there are 2 connectors you can leave them unplugged unless you want to have to depress the clutch pedal to start the car.

And if you want to get rid of the SES lights swap the eclipse ecu, but you'll need to buy a conversion harness from here: http://www.blackheartmotors.net/conversion_harness/
    Last edited by OMEGA PHX; 07-04-2011 at 06:47 PM

4g64T 5spd

If your going to swap all the harness over from the 3g to the 8g, your going to need the eclipse ecu, because the connectors to the ecu are different on the 3g compared to the 8g. I don't know if anyone has done that, and IDK if the engine fuse boxes are the same layout, same with the inside fuse boxes.

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

eclipse has no ecu, dash or interior, it was sold already. picked this car up from a auto repair company that was parting it out. I got everything i need for $500. i just do not have the knowledge. but you guys are helping tons.

btw i dont care about the ces light its been on forever (bad #6 cylinder) i will most likley take out the led or hope it burns out - since i regularly scan it for codes when i change the oil.
    Last edited by sportbiker; 07-04-2011 at 09:01 PM

a conversion harness on the galant ECU should do just fine then for the engine+transmission swap

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast