The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How to: Mod USDM Grille to fit JDM Heads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 23

How to: Mod USDM Grille to fit JDM Heads

Note: I am not responsible for any damages to your grille, bumper, headlights, and your fingers.

OP Notes: This is an old request from Kalamidad 6 years ago but never came to light. Basically, it was inspired from Krispy03 build but there were no actual -how to's- tutorials anywhere. So enjoy!

How to: Modify USDM Grille to fit JDM Heads
    (this applies to 99-01 griiles and 02-03)

Here's a pic of the ghetto install:
    (Wrong Way!!!!)

(you can't really see it unless unless you're up close...)

Here's a few tips why it was installed wrong:
    - sides were not shaved for headlight clearence
    - because sides were not adjusted right the tab mounters will not allign
    - lower tab mount rubbing against the bumper thus making it look warped and sticks out of the bumper.

The correct way:

All you need are:
    - Dremel or any rotary tool (cutter & sander bits)
    - one functional oem grille

1. On the first pic, notice the corners has been shaved off slightly (with a rotary cutter) to give some room for the jdm heads. To make this fit, I made no additional cutting necessary just the corners you see below.

2. Using the rotary cutter I cut 3/4 to 1 inch from the end of the grille. If you notice from the pic below I cut through by following the contours of the grille. This was to make the grille fit within the contours of the headlights.

3. Using a rotary sander, I sanded the back of the grille from where I cut from step 2. This will ensure the grille wouldn't rub against the headlights.

4. Using the rotary sander, I sanded off a small layer from the 3 bottom bottom tabs to prevent it from rubbing against the bumper

5. You will be using all but 2 mounting tabs. All top tabs will be utilized. On the bottom tabs, only the middle will be used as the 2 corner tabs has no place connect (or obvious reasons)

This is the finished product. The grille is flush with the bumper, no warpage, and nothing sticks out as if it was forced in (no homo). This tutorial may be appled to 02-03 grilles as basic design are similar to the 99-01 design. Enjoy! :)

I was waiting for the tut after I saw this in the "Post What You Did..." thread!! Nice writeup!

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

nice. but the USDM is still a ugly grill. -_-

Triple Diamond Motors East Cost
    02 2.5L Fully Built Galant 5 speed
    SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    I was waiting for the tut after I saw this in the "Post What You Did..." thread!! Nice writeup!
    x2! I won't do it, but nice to see it done and written down lol. Good Job

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

that looks like the grill doesn't fit, like it's sticking out too far. why not just use a JDM grill?

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax View Post
    that looks like the grill doesn't fit, like it's sticking out too far. why not just use a JDM grill?
    That's not the point of this tut. I didn't do this to prove anyone wrong. I did this because the ones who have done it in the past installed it poorly. I do have a JDM grille. In fact I have 2 of them sitting in the garage. This tutorial was made in request from Kalamidad a while back. They look flush or else I wouldn't bother making a tut for it. I also have better pics I'll post them later tonight.
    Last edited by G-spot; 07-05-2011 at 02:50 PM

Quote Originally Posted by G-spot View Post
    That's not the point of this tut. I didn't do this to prove anyone wrong. I did this because the ones who have done it in the past installed it poorly. I do have a JDM grille. In fact I have 2 of them sitting in the garage. This tutorial was made in request from Kalamidad a while back. They look flush or else I wouldn't bother making a tut for it. I also have better pics I'll post them later tonight.
    huh? they don't look as flush as a JDM grill w/ JDM headlights (or USDM headlights w/ USDM grill) does. maybe it's just the pics u posted but the grill looks like it is protruding out further than the headlights and it is not only too big but is also not flush to the bumper on the bottom edge making it appear to float. this tutorial could be helpful for ideas for the '02-'03 grills to modify them to accept JDM heads i guess, but for the '99-'01 grill, it's both easier and much better looking, to just use a JDM grill if you go w/ JDM heads.

You are here entirely tooo much!! IVORY_G's Avatar
    Good tutorial G-Spot, this gives members other options for different combinations of parts.
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

it's both easier and much better looking, to just use a JDM grill if you go w/ JDM heads.
    Understandable but if someone cant afford one then this would be the better option......for the mean time anyway

Quote Originally Posted by G-code88 View Post
    Understandable but if someone cant afford one then this would be the better option......for the mean time anyway
    if they are buying JDM heads, they can afford a JDM grill. these parts are many times cheaper than they were in the past.

You are here entirely tooo much!! IVORY_G's Avatar
    if they are buying JDM heads, they can afford a JDM grill. these parts are many times cheaper than they were in the past.
    Not everybody has enough money man. So if they cant afford a JDM grille when they buy the JDM heads, then they can do this for the inbetween time until they can.
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

if they are buying JDM heads, they can afford a JDM grill.
    Well said.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

I like the idea, however it seems like the grill sticks out in front of the lights too much, maybe it's just the pics.
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

There's alot wrong with this car, everything clashes...

Quote Originally Posted by greddy View Post
    I like the idea, however it seems like the grill sticks out in front of the lights too much, maybe it's just the pics.
    i think ur seeing what i'm seeing. g-spot says it's just the pics.

i think ur seeing what i'm seeing. g-spot says it's just the pics.
    I see it in all the picts

maaren
    Please look at my solution. ;)

Experienced TGC Member
    Great mod to save some cash. Good work G-Spot.

Quote Originally Posted by maaren View Post
    Please look at my solution. ;)
    [IMG]http://s013.radikal.ru/i325/1112/ca/d941f705f4cd.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i023.radikal.ru/1112/dd/0dd2764e4c13.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://s016.radikal.ru/i336/1112/7d/73234654fd0a.jpg[/IMG]
    How much material did you cut out of the grill to make it fit like that? and what glue/epoxy did you use to put it back together? Looks really good.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

maaren
    As you can see, I cut something about 1.5cm from both sides, maybe a little bit more.
    About glue I don't remember, what I found in garage I used. ;) Just put it more from behind and left for one day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast