The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ECU swap and Tach questions...

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

Icon14 ECU swap and Tach questions...

Definitely want to make sure all of the "kinks" are worked out before boost comes into play. When doing the ecu swap (i have a 98 5spd) correct me if i'm wrong but any 2g turbo factory 5spd EPROM or not ecu will work rite? I've read it in different places i just want to verify of course. I know tuning will be easier with the EPROM ecu but i just want to get it working for the time being. Also has anyone found a work around for getting the tach to work once the swap is complete? Unless i have totally missed this one and its posted somewhere...please don't bash me for this

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Yes..any 2g turbo ecu will work. Difference is 95-96 2g ecu's have EPROM chips while I believe 97-99 have the flashable ecus.

Tach fix is currently being worked on with my best friend Mikey which his DOHC swapped 7g. So we hopefully we will have a tach signal fix soon.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Not that i can't guess my rpm's within 500 rpm by sound but man that sucks...lol

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    if you swap to a 1994 galant GS gauge cluster it has the same tach signal but there arent many floating around. only 95s are EPROM, 95 and 96 had the cam sensor under the intake cam gear and the 97-99 it in the same spot as a 1g. if using a 95-96 ecu with a 1g cam sensor you have to switch the order of the coils as it is reverse of what the 1g sensor will be showing the ecu.
    Last edited by Galanttuner10; 07-11-2011 at 10:29 PM
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

So correct me if I'm wrong but you are saying a 94 gs cluster is a "plug and play" solution, if I manage to find one of course... As for the ECU, EPROM ecu's were only manufactured/implemented in the DSM's between the years of 95-96? That'd be a new learned fact for me lol. Does that still make em OBDII? When was the cut off for that wasn't it 94-95 ish?

EPROMs are only 95 for the 2g and they are obd2
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Guys, I got a tach working years ago. I just used one out of a 2g GST-GSX. It takes a little custom fabrication to get it fitting right but it has been working fine for a long time now.

Also, I am pretty sure not all 95 ECUs are EPROM. DSMTuners will have a lot of info on 2g ECUs. An Evo8 ECU might be your best bet as they are fairly cheap and flashable.
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

How do you fellaz think the "integration" of the EVO 8 ecu will be compared to a 2g DSM?? The "DSM ECU" walk through is easy to follow but i don't know if the pin layout is the same and if i have to add the knock sensor to the same pin # as i would do with the DSM ecu ect...i guess i'd have to have both pin layouts do a compare/contrast and make a nice little write up. You guys smell that?.......smells like a build thread to me

MKO has the pin layouts for an evo ecu swap i believe. i contemplated doing it and i have ecuflash and evoscan on my laptop from when i was considering that route. i think the 2g ecu swap especially eprom is the easiest

and eclipsh, no not all 95 turbo ecus are eprom but it was the only year they were made. i never stated they were all eprom
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

Thinking the 2g EPROM ecu will be the route I go just for simplicity. This will be my DD how do your cars run guys? Smooth idle? Would you still trust em on a long road trip?

As long as you take your time and make sure the wiring is correct and the ecu is functional there is no reason not to trust it. My buddy rushed his 240sx that has an RB25 in it and fried 2 aem computers so far and can't find the wiring issue.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

Hopefully AEM has a good warranty. Sorry to hear about your buddies misfortune no sense in rushing something this nature. Not that its rocket science but there is a lot you can miss/look over. I wish someone else in the Chicago land area would post in here lol someone with experience would be useful

What are the differences between the signal on the DSM vs our cars?? Can we change/convert it?