The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: SUb and box question

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18

SUb and box question

So I have heard the reason I blew a JL W6 was because I had a set of Dual Voice Coil speakers in a bandpass box...is this true? Or Could it have been the way they were wired? The other question is....can you make a bandpass box a regular one? Meaning will it work as a ported box if I take the plexi out the middle? And would it just be a sealed box if I take the plexi out and seal the port holes? Just curious

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

Quote Originally Posted by evil-G-nius View Post
    So I have heard the reason I blew a JL W6 was because I had a set of Dual Voice Coil speakers in a bandpass box...is this true? Or Could it have been the way they were wired? The other question is....can you make a bandpass box a regular one? Meaning will it work as a ported box if I take the plexi out the middle? And would it just be a sealed box if I take the plexi out and seal the port holes? Just curious
    i would just build one, prefab boxes aren't really good. i know where i live i can go pick up a sheet of mdf at home depo or lowes for 24$ and they can cut they different sheets out for you there

Quote Originally Posted by evil-G-nius
    So I have heard the reason I blew a JL W6 was because I had a set of Dual Voice Coil speakers in a bandpass box...is this true?
    NO

Or Could it have been the way they were wired?
    Possibly, other factors too. Power coming from amp and how it was tuned.

The other question is....can you make a bandpass box a regular one? Meaning will it work as a ported box if I take the plexi out the middle? And would it just be a sealed box if I take the plexi out and seal the port holes? Just curious
    Will have shitty sound.

What amp do you have?
    Which Model subs, as in voice coil resistance(ohms)?

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    NO
    Good!

Possibly, other factors too. Power coming from amp and how it was tuned.
    No...pretty sure it had the power...maybe amp tune was off though...good point

Will have shitty sound.
    Good to know

What amp do you have?
    Which Model subs, as in voice coil resistance(ohms)?
    I now have an Alpine amp 1000x1 mono which will run 2 12" Diamond Audio D9 DVC subs...4 ohm dvc's. I have a custom made bandpass...I just was told that I should have used single voice coils in there and thats why the others blew. So I can use my existing box which is good....just gotta look at the wiring and amp tune

No...pretty sure it had the power...maybe amp tune was off though...good point
    Maybe too much power is what I meant.

how many w6 did you have?

I was just looking at specs on those subs, you will have enough juice for one of those speakers. If you connect both of the to it you can only wire in series for a final 4ohm load. Which will deliver about 500rms to divide to each. Not enough. And if you wire parallel it will drop to 1ohm which is too much for the amp and will fry it or always go into protect mode. Your best bet is to find a pair of subs that handle about 500-600 rms and are in Dual 2ohm.

had 2 JL's and a weaker amp...I think @ 500 RMS they will be fine. They wont hit as hard as they could but its enough power. You dont have to operate at max for them to work properly. How is 500 not enough?

They will work, but each will get only 250. There's a different sound that comes from an underpowered sub, kind of hard to explain.

I just re-read the specs on the alpine amp, you should be fine. Each sub will get 500rms, and in a bandpass box is a close enough match.

Sometimes underpowered subs get blown by a weak amp trying to drive that sub and the signal gets clipped when the amp reaches its max. If you keep the gain down, it won't hit as hard like you say, but it shouldn't damage anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk fam!

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

IF your amp is 1 ohm stable this would be a good way to wire them, would also build a custom box with correct air space + port area and tuned righ*JL subs are 3ohm i think but they did start making them in a DVC2 and 4ohm* so if they are the dvc4 this would work great
    Last edited by arnold355; 07-12-2011 at 03:22 PM

Quote Originally Posted by arnold355 View Post
    IF your amp is 1 ohm stable this would be a good way to wire them, would also build a custom box with correct air space + port area and tuned righ*JL subs are 3ohm i think but they did start making them in a DVC2 and 4ohm* so if they are the dvc4 this would work great
    Amp is 2 and 4 ohm, so for his Diamond subs he needs to go series, loop one pos/neg send the others to amp output.

Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    Sometimes underpowered subs get blown by a weak amp trying to drive that sub and the signal gets clipped when the amp reaches its max. If you keep the gain down, it won't hit as hard like you say, but it shouldn't damage anything.
    This is what I was trying to say. Gain down low output, Gain up signal clip and sub farting. LOL. i just had a chicken burrito from Chiptole...FTW. So my brain is drained of juice it's all in my belly trying to help digest.
    Last edited by oakrdrs187; 07-12-2011 at 03:30 PM

yep sorry i read it wrong haha

thank you...so I just basically gotta wire it in a paralell and tune the amp right and I shouold be golden

^^^No, in series

Last edited by oakrdrs187; 07-12-2011 at 05:06 PM

thought you said 1 ohm would overload it! lol

I assume you mean the second scenario

^^ I don't think I said parallel. ANd I do mean the second set which will have a final 4ohm load on the amp.

no I was sayin paralell cuz I couldnt remember any other term! LOL