The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Engine Issues After Installing Injen SP SRI

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18

Engine Issues After Installing Injen SP SRI

So, I recently received my Injen SP Short Ram Intake for my GTZ and made the installations. I started up the car after installing it, and my A/C was running. So, I wanted to hear the effects of my new intake, so I shut off the A/C. I looked at my rpm gauge and noticed it was dropping below 500 when my engine finally shut off. So, I started it back up with the A/C still off and the engine was fine. I turned on the A/C and the engine slowed a bit, but then got to 1000 rpm. However, it still shuts off when I disengage the A/C unless I rev the engine. I disconnected my battery, reset my ECU, checked all connections (hoses, tubing, clamps) and found everything to be fine.

I took her for a drive and she was fine. I live in Alabama currently, in the middle of the summer, so it's not like I am going to have the A/C off very often until I go to college, but I am concerned for future use. Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. - I apologise if a forum topic such as this exists. I do not intend to repost a resolved issue, but I am on a major time crunch.

Did you clean the TB?

Check your maf(mass air flow sensor) and make sure that it is plugged in.Is your check engine light on since you put the intake on?

Experienced TGC Member n3oAcid24's Avatar
    ecu is resetting itself. it happens all the time on my car when i disconnect the battery. leave it on for 10 to 15 min. if it shuts off, turn it back on. it will fix itself in a little bit.
    n3oAcid24 = 01' Galant I4

^^^ This is why, Clean TB.

I am assuming the TB is the throttle body?

The check engine light actually turned off after installing the intake. I assumed it's the ECU resetting, because I drove it around and it acted up less. Though, if I turn off the air vents or the A/C idling, the engine fails. Does anyone know if I can raise my idle rpms (don't know the technical term) and if that'd help?

Thanks for all your quick replies. I really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by samurai65 View Post
    I am assuming the TB is the throttle body?

The check engine light actually turned off after installing the intake. I assumed it's the ECU resetting, because I drove it around and it acted up less. Though, if I turn off the air vents or the A/C idling, the engine fails. Does anyone know if I can raise my idle rpms (don't know the technical term) and if that'd help?

Thanks for all your quick replies. I really appreciate it.
    Did you have any of these issues before installing the intake?It could be possible that you installed something backwards,that has happened to one of the members on here before.

Did you hook hook up the vac hose, from the vavle cover to the new intake? Which way did you install your MAF? If it came with the metal adapeter, that should be on the filter side of the intake, not the Throttle body side

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

Quote Originally Posted by n3oAcid24 View Post
    ecu is resetting itself. it happens all the time on my car when i disconnect the battery. leave it on for 10 to 15 min. if it shuts off, turn it back on. it will fix itself in a little bit.
    Bam you got it. After disconnecting the battery be sure to step on the brakes a few times as to purge the systems capacitors of electricity as well.

Experienced TGC Member n3oAcid24's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    ^^^ This is why, Clean TB.
    TB is clean man... still does it.
    n3oAcid24 = 01' Galant I4

Quote Originally Posted by galantlvr34 View Post
    Did you have any of these issues before installing the intake?It could be possible that you installed something backwards,that has happened to one of the members on here before.
    I had no issues except a "Service Engine Soon" light. After installing the intake, it went away. But this whole turning the air and A/C off and the engine dying is new. I followed the instructions to the letter, so I do not think I did something backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Galantman03 View Post
    Did you hook hook up the vac hose, from the vavle cover to the new intake? Which way did you install your MAF? If it came with the metal adapeter, that should be on the filter side of the intake, not the Throttle body side
    Yes, I did. The MAF sensor is sitting on top, with the port facing the front of the car, just like it was when it was with my stock intake. The instructions told me to put the MAF at the end of the intake and the new filter connects to it.

if nobody has yet to say this, you might have your MAF backwards
    also are the couplers on your intake tightened down?

I had no issues except a "Service Engine Soon" light. After installing the intake, it went away. But this whole turning the air and A/C off and the engine dying is new. I followed the instructions to the letter, so I do not think I did something backwards.
    Oh ok i would get your alternator tested out and make sure that is good,if that is good then it could possibly be the IAC(idle air control valve).But if you can get a picture of the intake then we can verify that everything is alright with that first.

Update: So, today, my car decided to shut down WHILE driving. Luckily, I was driving during low traffic hours and it only does so when slowing down for a stop light or to turn or whatnot. But, as anyone can realise, this problem is very dangerous. I checked the intake, and it looks like the filter and its flange are not staying attached to the MAF. The flange has threads in its holes, but my MAF does not. So, tomorrow after work, I am going to buy a set of four nuts to see if that will help.

After doing some research, I did read that the IAC being dirty could be causing this problem?
    Last edited by samurai65; 07-14-2011 at 10:44 PM

Update: So, today, my car decided to shut down WHILE driving. Luckily, I was driving during low traffic hours and it only does so when slowing down for a stop light or to turn or whatnot. But, as anyone can realise, this problem is very dangerous. I checked the intake, and it looks like the filter and its flange are not staying attached to the MAF. The flange has threads in its holes, but my MAF does not. So, tomorrow after work, I am going to buy a set of four nuts to see if that will help.

After doing some research, I did read that the IAC being dirty could be causing this problem?

That's most likely the problem. The flange utilizes 4 bolts to connect to the MAF,,,they should've come in the kit. You run them through the MAF first, and thread them into the flange. Look at the pic of my Injen installed.

Check for air leaks after the MAF.

I would check your AC compressor clutch. it seems like the clutch is locking up when you try to disengage it (turn the A/C off).
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

I know for sure the battery being disconnected can alter things...with the ecu I'm assuming. Never fails everytime I disconnect mine. I know to be prepared to either stall at a stop or the car will try to drop rpms on me. Also about a month or so ago, I had an issue with my filter wanting to fall of my adapter. It also caused similar issues, which is how I eventually learned to tell when it fell off. But the first time I put my filter and adapter on...I reset the ecu and drove around that night at various throttle positions including wide open throttle. Take about 15 mins doing that. Shut it down waited like 10 mins. Did it all over again but mainly wide open. That kept it stable enough for my to drive to my friends house afterwards with no issues.

That's what I did...somebody else might have a better method?