The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 5 speed swap question

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 30 of 30
    I got everything hooked up and rewired but she wouldn't start. I back tracked to see if I could find out what I screwed up. Couldn't find anything that was not connected. The starter, lights, radio, power mirror, emergency flashers, power windows were not working. The only things still working were a couple of the dash idiot lights, the interior fan and the back up lights. I noticed the back up lights were kind of dim so I checked out the battery. The car had been sitting for almost a year while I gathered up 5 speed swap parts and motivation to do it. Battery only had 5.5 volts so I know why it wouldn't start. I have the battery charger on it now and have fingers crossed that is all it is. More after I let the battery charge for a couple of hours and try it again.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

Check fuses, too. Look at the yellow one under the hood.

GL!
    -Andrew

The reverse lights wires are on the same plug with the wires you hook up to start the car. The two wires are thin red and red/blue stripe colored wires
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Problem with starting was just a bad battery. 5 Spd swap now
    complete, back up lights work and car starts and runs. All I need to do now is adjust the clutch pedal height.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

congrats!!!

My 98 ES with the 5 speed swap is now my winter DD. I just realized my cruise control no longer works. Is this normal after a 5 speed swap or is there something I need do to makeit work again?
    jjj

yes its normal. it can be fixed very easily with the use of a relay.

the two wires, you put together to start the car, need to be separated for the cruise ctrl to work. when the wires are together, the ecu thinks the car is in park, so it lets the starter engage, but in park the ecu doesnt send signal to the cruise ctrl, because the car is in park.

let me see if a can draw a quick diagram for the relay wiring

Build Thread

when you turn the ign key into start position, the relay will switch from the normally closed to open position which will put the two wires together and will signal the ecu that the car is in park and allow the starter to engage.

As soon you let off the key (engine is idling), the relay will release and switch back to normally closed which will break the contact between the wires which signals the ecu that the car is no longer in park which will enable the cruise control.

To use the cruise control, you'll still need the massive switch on top of the auto brake pedal since it disables the cruise ctrl if the brakes are pressed
    Last edited by mko; 11-30-2011 at 01:30 AM

Build Thread

It all makes sense now. Is there a particular relay you recommend using? Do you have a picture of how you wired this in?

This got me thinking. Seems like I could even wire in a simple rocker or toggle switch under the dash that would run between the two wires that got spliced together. With such a switch in place the following should result:
    -With the car not running and the switch on (establishes contact between the two wires), you can start the car.
    -With the car not running and the switch turned off (breaks contact between the two wires), it would act as a simple kill switch, i.e., a poor man's security system.
    - Once the car is running, you flip the switch off (breaks contact between the two wires), you can now use the cruise control. Of course you would have to remember you have the kill switch engaged when you go to restart the car later or you are going to look and feel pretty stupid once you figure it out.

Thanks for the the help. If I am still driving a 7g 20 years from now it will because of all ofthe stuff I have learned from TGC. Thanks again.
    jjj

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12