The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 5 speed swap question

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 30

5 speed swap question

I'm in the middle of putting a 95 S 5 speed into a 98 ES. I have the trans all bolted up, clutch master cylinder installed, the clutch slave cylinder bolted in and clutch line run out. I have not yet connected clutch line to clutch slave cylinder so there is no tension against the fork that moves the throwout bearing. There is absolutely no resistance to movement of the throwout bearing fork (that the clutch slave cylinder rod will push against once the system is filled and bleed). Basically the throwout bearing fork moves very freely. I expected the throwout bearing fork to have very little free play but maybe not? I am hoping it is just because the clutch master and slave cylinder have not yet been filled with fluid and bleed.

Can anyone verify this is the case as I hate to bolt everything up to find out there is something wrong with the clutch.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

It has to be from not having any fluid in it,You are talking about when you push the clutch fork in to test the adjustment?

Yes I am talking about clutch fork where it meets the slave cylinder rod. I am going to add brake fluid to the clutch system and test it out today before continuing to bolt things back together. Got my finger's crossed.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

Quote Originally Posted by eksz View Post
    Yes I am talking about clutch fork where it meets the slave cylinder rod. I am going to add brake fluid to the clutch system and test it out today before continuing to bolt things back together. Got my finger's crossed.
    Yeah it will affect it if you dont have any fluid in it,the slave cant pressurize right so it will seem like there is no resistance.I was thinking the same thing put some dot 3 brake fluid in and see what happens.

Hooked the clutch line up and pressurized and bleed it. That took care of the slack in the system.

Next question. On the top towards the front of the 5-spd transmission there is an electrical connector that I can't find a plug from the the wiringharness to hook up to it. Any idea what this is? Is there a connector tucked away that I have missed? The only other connector on the 5-spd is one located by the rear trans mount.
    jjj

Hooked the clutch line up and pressurized and bleed it. That took care of the slack in the system.

Next question. On the top towards the front of the 5-spd transmission there is an electrical connector that I can't find a plug from the the wiringharness to hook up to it. Any idea what this is? Is there a connector tucked away that I have missed? The only other connector on the 5-spd is one located by the rear trans mount.
    That is the auto transmission plug it has no use for it anymore so it is just an extra wire,you can zip tie it up so it doesnt dangle.You hooked up the speed sensor right?

This is a picture of the plug on the top front of the 5-spd transmission itself.
    jjj

That is the speed sensor.

that for the reverse lamps, speed sensor should be more towards the back...that is the same connector on the 8g for the reverse lamps

Quote Originally Posted by QnzMostWanted View Post
    that for the reverse lamps, speed sensor should be more towards the back...that is the same connector on the 8g for the reverse lamps
    Oh ok that makes sense,it looks like a speed sensor though.

I also thought the speed sensor was at the back of the trans but what the heck do I know.

So if this the reverse switch what am I suppose to hook up to it? I was thinkijng I need to figure out which one of the plugs from the auto trans wiring harness is the reverse wires. Then I guess I cut the connector from the 5-spd wiring harness and wire that on to the reverse wires.
    Last edited by eksz; 07-14-2011 at 09:36 PM
    jjj

if its anything like the 8g, it'll be pin 8+9 on the same harness as the starter wires...dont quote me on that tho

just searched (wonderful tool)

red/green and red/blue connect to that switch from the main (big) auto harness for the transmission, doesnt matter how u wire it, its just for continuity when in reverse
    Last edited by QnzMostWanted; 07-14-2011 at 08:31 PM

It is up to you if you want reverse lights or not.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    It is reverse lights. Speed sensor is a 3 prong not a 2 prong. It's worth having those lights and in peanotations write up he says how to make them work
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

its in my post lol

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    My bad d I'm on my phone and didnt read everything haha
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

yeah yeah yeah, im only a noob when it comes to the 6g lol

QNZMostWanted,
    I have been searching for your post on 5 speed swaps without success. I did go back and reread peanotion's 5 spd swap from the tutorial and at the very end there was an update that covered the reverse lights. Was that yours? If not can you provide me a link to your post? To keep it as clean as possible I am going to cut the original plug from the manual trans wiring harness and wire it in. Thanks for the assist on this.
    jjj

QNZMostWanted,
    I have been searching for your post on 5 speed swaps without success. I did go back and reread peanotion's 5 spd swap from the tutorial and at the very end there was an update that covered the reverse lights. Was that yours? If not can you provide me a link to your post? To keep it as clean as possible I am going to cut the original plug from the manual trans wiring harness and wire it in. Thanks for the assist on this.
    This is the post he is talking about here:
    red/green and red/blue connect to that switch from the main (big) auto harness for the transmission, doesnt matter how u wire it, its just for continuity when in reverse

yeah i posted it in this thread, galantlvr34 reposted what i said....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast