The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 4g63t swap

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Showing results 61 to 72 of 72
    sethmo
    Why are there 3 mount perches on my transmission and only one on my motor?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(4-G-rim)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sethmo)</div><div class='quotemain'>Heres the break down. Â*

-6bolt motors = 3 engine mounts
    -Trannies on 6bolt engines = 1 tranny mount

-7bolt motors = 1 engine mount
    -Trannies on 7bolt engines = 3 tranny mounts
    </div>

??? Why would there be more mounts for the tranny than on the motor itself? 94-98 Galant/95-99 Eclipse GS-T/Spyder/GSX have a mount on:
    -Upper Driver side on left strut apron next to the belts and Cam(s)
    -Front engine mount w/ weight balancer on the center member
    -Rear engine mount on the sub frame

-Mount for the transmission</div>

those two mounts that are italicized are where the difference is. in the 1gs etc, those mounts are bolted to the engine. but on the 2gs etc, those mounts are moved over 2 or so inches and are bolted to the transmission. so anyone can use a 2g transmission, and everyone can use a 1g engine. since i have a 2g tranny(actually, 7g but same thing in this context) and 1g engine, i have 6 places for mounts, 3 on the trans and 3 on the engine. but in our chassis, you only use 1 of the engine mounts, and 3 of the trans mounts. in the 1g chassis, you use 3 of the engine mounts and 1 of the trans mounts.

sethmo
    I was referring to 2g/7g Galant 7bolts having 3 tranny mounts and one engine mount I know all 1gs are setup the same.

lol huh? i was replying to 4-g-rim.. i'm agreeing with you maaan, relax

ken inn
    on the 1g cars, the smaller mounts, one near the radiator, front center of the engine bay, and the other one directly opposite, in the rear of the engine bay are roll stoppers, and do not support the engine/trans. the motor rotates towards the firewall when it is under load.

sethmo
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sabzi5858)</div><div class='quotemain'>lol huh? Â*i was replying to 4-g-rim.. Â*i'm agreeing with you maaan, relax Â*</div>

Hehe I was clearing up my post because I did not specify which 7bolts I was talking about

Anywho, the tranny is PITA to lift up under the car by myself haha. I am using a lift to pull it up and have the engine bolted onto the engine mount and supported by a jack and block of wood. I will get it in tonight though and start on my wiring and coolant lines :twisted:

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    I was looking at the mounts on my 94 G.
    could someone varify this Just to clear things up for myself

i understand 4-g-rims post and kind of the clarification. but i am having a problem understanding the difference in a 1g tranny and a 2g tranny.

are the mounts different? and if so how?

you can't use a 1g tranny. it is missing the front and rear mounts, they are on the engine on a 1g. and as ken said, they are a different type of mount as well.

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    what if i had a 1g engine, could i then use a 1g tranny.

Sorry if i sound ignorant, but maybe some pics would help...

sethmo
    No you cannot! On a 1g tranny there is only one mount, and it is at the top of the tranny if I remember correctly. Our cars have 3 mounts on the tranny. One on top and one in the front and one in the rear. These two mounts are not on the 1g tranny, but on the block itself. So if you were to use the mounts on the block they would not line up with the mounts in the 7g at all. You cannot use a 1g tranny unless you figure out how to modify it to use the front and rear mounts that are in the 7g...

for those of you asking about which alternator to use, i found this on the dsmlink boards: "Replace your alternator. And while your at it, upgrade with a 1996ish 2.4l Galant alternator. They are 90amps instead of 70amps."

this is coming from people with 2gs.

Experienced TGC Member
    O ye i remember that discussion when I first join 4g64, the later model 7g's have 90 amp alternators and are considered an "upgrade". People where also talking about getting their alternators rewound to 120amps, however I couldnt find any local shops that would do it.
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234