The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 4g63t swap

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 72
    Dark Anghell
    I can't argue about ARC, but for spearco, probably partially because they are a little bit cheaper. But if you look at the market in Japan, the FMIC's they are using are either HKS or Blitz, same with exaust systems.

Dark Anghell
    Another thing that came to my mind...there are different types of 4g63t's. There are some that came with td04 turbos, some came with big 16g's. Now the ones with big 16g came with larger injectors (blue ones if I'm not mistaken), which means the engine needs more fuel to feed those 240 horses. I know that by rewiring our fuel pump, we can handle regular 4g63t with 200HP, what about the 4g63t with 240HP?
    I know we can go with in-line fuel pump, but those things are loud. Can we go with 3000GT fuel pump?

you can use anything a 2g eclipse can use. i have a supra tt fuel pump

Here's a great lesson that you guys that are new to turbo charging should pay attention to.

A kid that I go to college with turbo'd his 96 Civic Ex with a garret t3/t4 on stock internals and a big Indy Race Core FMIC and an apex'i v-afc. He's boosting 6 lbs.

Does anybody see the problem yet?

I'll continue, he dyno'd at 130hp his first run, they tuned it with his 450cc injectors and got it to max hp at 150. 150 you say, how can it be that low.

Some I'm sure know this, but for those who aren't going to be pushing 17-30 psi, you won't need a huge intercooler. You need a small one, bigger isn't always better guys, only if your turbo is making the air so hot and it has so much pressure to push through the huge intercooler and still have pressure once it hits the throttle body.

If the kid switched from the huge FMIC to a stock 1g/2g smic then I'm sure he could net another 15-25 hp and actually see a performance gain, but he went for style points and screwed himself over.

Also, for those doing the swap, get a 90 - june 92 4g63T for your car, it is the 6 bolt version and doesn't experience crank walk which is caused by the inefficent oil passages in the 7 bolt versions. The 7 bolts have smaller passages coming off the main journals and can easily get clogged up, then the lack off oil causes the crank to develop play over time, side to side play which is called crank walk. Crank walk = new crank and rebuilt motor = not cool. Stick with 6 bolt and you'll be worry free of that problem.

Later
    J

i hope the intercooler remark wasn't geared towards me, i have an agp l2r on my car, i'm sure it can handle the irc race core just fine

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    <span style='color:blue'>Hey guys, i was under the impression that the GVR4's were linked up with the AWD drive train. Will this work with our FWD. Weren't the VR4's twin turbo or is that in the 8G</span>

the 4g63T will bolt up to our fwd transmissions. awd has nothing to do with the engine EXCEPT the flywheel(and maybe the torque converter etc on the autos, maybe craig can answer this, i only have experience with manuals). make sure you get a flywheel that matches your transmission or you won't be having fun. unless ofcourse you enjot taking your transmission off to swap out the flywheel

<span style='color:blue'>I posted this in the tranny swap topic, but maybe this question could be answered here since there's more traffic.

Hey i was looking into the pricing for the trannies. Found a place online that sold both turbo and Nt trannies. It specified, but i thought there wasn't a difference. When you look at the price there's a difference from $391 being the most for a NT tranny to $1200 for a Turbo trannybut this was for a 94 or earlier eclipse. Then i looked it up for a 95 or later eclipse, the prices start at 900 and go to 1400.

A few questions
    1. Does it matter what year transmission i get, if i'm planning to do an engine swap to 4g63t. Some say that it's better to get a engine from 92 and before. but will this engine work with a later tranny from 95 to 99 or all the trannies the same from 90 to 99.
    2. Does it have to be T tran for 4g63t, or will the NT work. I know some companies ask, just so they can stick you with a higher price.
    3. I don't have the money to do both engine and tranny. But i think my engine will last longer than my tranny. If i have to get a T tran for the 4g63t, will that tran work on my galant engine i have right now till later.

I'm looking to do this tran swap this summer, so some definte answeres would be appreciated.
    </span>

Dark Anghell
    It won't matter what tranny you use, because people with 2nd gen eclipses swap 6-bolt motors into their cars, and use same tranny. I don't think that the differences are very big between NT and T tranny. Probably the clutch is a bit stronger to handle more HP. Also the gearing might be a little different, but most likely it's the same.

Trannies usually go start from 400 dollars and go up to about 1400 for a really nice one. If your galant is 5sp. allready, just get yourself a better clutch and you're set.

2g Trannys do matter if it is from a T or na. The na 2g has a different motor in it(420a). Plus the engine sits opposite to the Turbo model with the 4g63.
    You can keep your looks, I'll keep my speed

Dark Anghell
    Sorry i I meant to say that the NT galant 5speed tranny is most likely the same as the T eclipse tranny.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    what about the spyder auto tranny, that would work, but from any other nt 2g wouldnt fit

also ive been told that the 5spd galant tranny is weaker and has longer gears than the 2g 5spd tranny...
    7g for life!

Dark Anghell
    If it does have longer gears, that's even better, you can build more boost in each gear, on mine in 1st gear by the time I hit my 10psi or so I have to shift :cry: . I know that if you have big turbo, long gear ratios are the best.

<span style='color:blue'>I didn't know G's had a 5 speed. As far as gear ratio, doesn't that depend on what your thrill is. If you want to take people in the quarter mile, then the smaller ratio is better, but if you want higher top speed might go for longer ratios. Kind of like on a bicycle.</span>

so anyone know how much hp/torque a stock galant 5spd tranny can handle?
    7g for life!

mine is "handling" about 300HP..

I would suggest, if possible, Replacing syncros and using full synth gear l00b

and you should get a long life of it.

and.. as hard As it Will be... you'll have to TRY and Refrain From shifting higher Than 6500...well... just.. not ALLLLL the time...
    Craig R.
    [email protected], Gclipse96 on AIM

1996Galant 14.0@103
    biggest b00bies EvAr

what is the normal redline on a stock 4g63t?
    7g for life!

4g63 + ~7500

4g64 = ~6450
    Craig R.
    [email protected], Gclipse96 on AIM

1996Galant 14.0@103
    biggest b00bies EvAr

hmmm seeing how i am auto right now, would it just be best to get a 2g 5spd?
    7g for life!

benwah93awd

turbo trannies are different than NT trannies

When comparing trannies on first gen DSM cars there is a big difference between the turbo and non-turbo. I have parted out many of these cars and as far as the autos go the FWD turbo tranny is much larger and heavier than the NT. You can use NT trannies on a turbo but it's only a matter of time. The manual turbo tranny is larger as well and has longer gears where as the nt tranny you are shifting quick so some people will put this tranny on their turbo car for wicked fast acceleration. Oddly enough the gearing in an NT auto tranny is long which makes the car slower but makes for great gas mileage. The turbo auto tranny is fairly aggressive and works well. The awd auto is a pig, I had one and sold it, too much power was being sucked up by the tranny and then I bought a 5 speed awd dsm and it was like night and day. I suppose if it bolts up use it but be careful, mitsu people new they had to do something with the drivetrain if they were going to put a turbo on the motor. I know for most folks it's money issue so you use what you got. I know this because right now I have a non-turbo 4G63 motor with a turbo on it in my awd 93 dsm. It's a 6 bolt motor and works fine at 16lbs of boost, wouldn't dare try it with a 7 bolt as that's what came in my car and it junked a rod. Anyway just my 2 cents I hope it helps. I might be a galant owner soon, I found a 96 with a pooped auto tranny. The information on here is great and it appears many of dsm stuff I'm familiar with will work with the galant since the motor and tranny are oriented the same. This is a pretty cool place! THANKS!
    BEN

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast