The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: I found some sort of remote start installed

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

I found some sort of remote start installed

I bought this car from a relative of the owner, so they didn't know why it only had one key. They key it did have had a remote starter remote with it but even though the light on it would light up, nothing would happen.

Another thing with this car is the keyless entry range for the OEM key really sucks, I have to lean across the trunk sometimes to get the trunk to pop.

I had been noticing a wire hanging from under the dash with some electrical tape on it. Didn't seem like something the factory would do, so I investigated further.

Picture below of what I found, probably the sensor for the remote start system. See the black electrical tape wrapped around it? The cars 2nd key was in there but the battery is dead. I'm guessing the system needed the key near it to enable the system.

I'm leaning towards removing the remote start system.

If it had the 2nd key in it then it's what is called a bypass module. To fool the cars computer into thinking the key is in the ignition cylinder, other wise no start.

I would most definitely remove because that looks like a POS off brand. In order to do that safely you will need wire cutter and electrical tape. It's not hard, follow all the aftermarket wires to where they connect to the cars original wiring and carefully cut it, then just tape any exposed wire left. You may find more modules in there, like the main brain and a shock sensor, get all that out of there. Any questions feel free to PM. I'm always on my phone so I can get back right away.

Yeah I'm working on removing it now, I found a larger box with Bulldog Security printed on it. Removed that and now the remote entry works from pretty far away. Now I'm just figuring out how they've got the wires spliced in to remove that rats nest. I may just use wire clippers and put the twist on caps over the end.

Here's the main group of wires left(yellow, white, orange and red), they are pretty thick so I could easily cut and cap them.

This single blue wire was spliced into the brake pedal sensor for some reason. I just trimmed it down real short.

Last edited by maxpower; 07-14-2011 at 12:47 PM

Bulldog security isn't that great, it's OK. The brake pedal wire is in there to shot off the remote start after you got in the car and inserted your second key and turned it so you can take off. Or if a thief breaks into your car during remote start as soon as he hits the brake to shift into gear the car will shut down.

It's a good idea you have there cut the wires to about an inch and cap them to prevent a short.

It would be nice keep an alarm but I'd rather have 2 remote keys that actually work. The range before was horrible. And now me and my wife each get a key.

The bulldog unit was stuck right up against what I'm assuming is the key remote sensor since it has a FCC id on it. Maybe it was causing interference being so close?

You always get an aftermarket alarm only installed and have 2 remotes with way better range. Up to 1 mile.

I have the viper 5900 remote start, since my car is 99 and no immobilizer I didn't need another key, and keys cost me $3 cut with no m programming needed. I looked far and wide and waited until she came around on Craigslist back in March.