The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Timing Belt

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12
    BassmanLN

Timing Belt

Maaannn i have 107k miles on my 96 S..i REALLLY dont want to get my timing belt changed. Its a shitload of money for a belt that im not even gonna notice the difference when its put on...the least i can find someone to do it is for 300...but it is a key component of the engine system and i dont want them to mess it up. But the dealership wants like 600.. does this HAVE to be done, or do our cars have good long lasting belts?? (in my dreams) :twisted: <---dealerships.. and mitsubishi for not using timing chains. (if that can be done)

cantbeatmy97
    wow imsurprised it hasnt let go yet once the belt breaks u lose steering,power,everything very dangerous.get it done A.S.A.P also get all the other belts done while they have that aparti got mine changed bout 72000 and i know have 77800 on my 97.its up to u if u want to take a risk of killing yurself or others especially on a highway at a high rate of speed

BassmanLN
    how much was it when u got it done?

i'd get the timing belt replaced. asap. i'd also get the belts you take out to get to the timing belt replace and anyotehr thing that gets in the way that could fail shortly. as for who to do it. yea mitsu's pretty good. they do offer a warranty for their work too. but any competent repair shop should be able to do it for you

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Now would also be a good time to get an adjustable cam gear put on. If you ever wanted to do it in the future, then you'd kick your own ass for not doing it while getting the timing belt replaced. (I just kicked my own ass )

BassmanLN

Adjustable cam gear

im posting a whole new topic on adjustable cam gears cuz i wanna know more about them. read it and write back

timing belt isn't a serpentine belt...

you will still be Able to Steer.. *sorta*

and not many people care if the power steering pump work.. when they hear all 16 valves slap into their pistons.....

do *NOT* let timing belts go....

I had the one on *MY* galant Run 88k (unless the dealership replaced it...)
    but I only did it becuase the timing belt cost as much as my *MOTOR*

don't let it ride.. you will regret it
    Craig R.
    [email protected], Gclipse96 on AIM

1996Galant 14.0@103
    biggest b00bies EvAr

I changed out my water pump when it started leaking. Its kinda a saftey device, the ports in them start to leak just before the bearing sieze up so you know to change them. It wasnt really to hard. You could change the timming belt at the same time since its in the way anyway. I didnt really have to take any wheel fenders off. I just took off the top engine mount so I could lift the engine a little with a jack so I could take out those long ass bolts from the pulleys. If you have the time Its a fun project, took me about 4hours. Just remember if you take out the timming belt to mark the gears and make sure you dont rotate them, this will mess with your timming. But do this at your own risk. Personally I wouldnt pay over 350 for this job. Most of the shops I know would put a warrenty for this job. Timming belt on the 7g is scheduled at 60,000 miles. Personally I would get it changed at these intervals, or you might end up spending a whole lot more than 3 bills!!!

If your timming belt snaps you would still have steering, but no power steering.

Initial -G-host
    Spend the money to fix your timing belt. You'll save yourself some time, hassle and money. Would you rather spend a couple hundred now....or a couple thousand later?

GalantSpeed

Timing Tensioner

Right now my car is in the shop getting the timing belt(s) replaced. The tech just called me and told me that my Timing Tensioner was going bad. he said that there was way too much play in it. He also said that if he changes it my car will run smoother and all that happy horse shit. so now i am pissed because instead of me having to pay $250 for the timing belt i now have to pay $460 to get it done. This sucks major ass!! anyone else had this problem before?

Re: Timing Tensioner

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GalantSpeed)</div><div class='quotemain'>Right now my car is in the shop getting the timing belt(s) replaced. The tech just called me and told me that my Timing Tensioner was going bad. he said that there was way too much play in it. He also said that if he changes it my car will run smoother and all that happy horse shit. so now i am pissed because instead of me having to pay $250 for the timing belt i now have to pay $460 to get it done. This sucks major ass!! anyone else had this problem before?</div>

i wouldn't even complain haha. its gonne make ur car run better and yea make ur timing belt last longer in there. if that fails, he's gonna have to go back in there and charge u a but load to fix it. while he's there you might want him to get the rest of ur belts replaces (since he had to remove them to get to the timing belt) and the water pump too possibly

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

GalantSpeed
    he told me that the water pump is in good condition and the belts are less than a month old so i'm not going to worry about that right now. DAMN IT i hate cars when this happens.