The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: High output alt

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

High output alt

Where, how much, and what kind of amperage should I expect for a high output alternator for the V6? I've checked eBay, and I've seen a few 160-180amp alternators, and they're around $200, but most of them are remanufactured and I was wanting something new.
    '03 Sterling Silver GTZ

Reman just as good.
    Besides I don't think there is new high output alternators. What these companies do is take your stock alternator and put in new internals that are higher output, thus called re-manufactured.

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    Reman just as good.
    Besides I don't think there is new high output alternators. What these companies do is take your stock alternator and put in new internals that are higher output, thus called re-manufactured.
    Yeah, well some companies completely build the alternator to accommodate their higher output. If I can't find a new alternator worth the price difference from a remanufactured one from eBay.

The only price quote I've had was from DC Power Engineering, and it was $400 for a 180amp at 1,200 rpm alt. I can do the same on eBay for $200.
    '03 Sterling Silver GTZ

Is This Dc place a shop close to you?

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    I have a 4 cylinder but I got my alternator from Iraggi for about $425 or something like that. I think its 200amp. It was a brand new unit, no core charge or anything. Im not sure if he does V6 ones or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    Is This Dc place a shop close to you?
    No. It's an online company that's popular with car audio guys. They make another alternator for the V6 8Gs, and it's 270 amps, but it's also $630.
    '03 Sterling Silver GTZ

Well then this really comes down to how much change is in your pocket. On the one hand it makes sense to go with the more cost effective alt as long as there is warranty, on the other hand theres a reason why that online dealer has become so popular with the big audio guys. Remember the saying "You get what you pay for."

i have a irragi alt in my car and i think i paid 425 also but its well worth it

whats the benefit for using a high output alt?

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by keith6110 View Post
    whats the benefit for using a high output alt?
    Typically used in conjunction with high powered audio systems to allow for the vehicle to retain useable power and provide enough to the high power audio system without stress.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    Typically used in conjunction with high powered audio systems to allow for the vehicle to retain useable power and provide enough to the high power audio system without stress.
    ahh.. Thought that's what capacitors were used for lol.

Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by keith6110 View Post
    ahh.. Thought that's what capacitors were used for lol.
    Your alternator produces the power essentially like a electro magnet (sans magnet). But this doesn't get released immediately and when it is released it cannot be immediately recharged. Capacitors are just a big battery that is storing energy to release when needed. But you say, why not just run a secondary battery? Well your standard automotive 12-volt battery when its power is being drawn it also has voltage spikes. A capacitor stabilizes your audio system from voltage/current loss. This is the reason many of the most famous audiophile and dB drag competitors are using capacitors in concert with their HO generators and additional batteries.

Your alternator produces the power essentially like a electro magnet (sans magnet). But this doesn't get released immediately and when it is released it cannot be immediately recharged. Capacitors are just a big battery that is storing energy to release when needed. But you say, why not just run a secondary battery? Well your standard automotive 12-volt battery when its power is being drawn it also has voltage spikes. A capacitor stabilizes your audio system from voltage/current loss. This is the reason many of the most famous audiophile and dB drag competitors are using capacitors in concert with their HO generators and additional batteries.
    ohh alright, I got it. Thanks for the Sound System 101. I'm never going to go all out like that, so I probably don't need H/O anything for battery juice.

Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Well, the first upgrade component your car should get is a high output alternator. Then a capacitor. Then a secondary battery system.

Well, the first upgrade component your car should get is a high output alternator. Then a capacitor. Then a secondary battery system.
    Agreed. The alternator is what makes the power, caps and batts only store it.

Think of this (hypothetically). Going turbo on the stock 4g64, stock everything.

And you are trying to boost 25lbs (your 2500watt amp). Without a higher capacity fuel pump (alternator) and fuel injectors(heavy gauge wiring) you will be going nowhere.